I totalled my sail boat yesterday..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Is that even possible? yes, yes it is.

A storm was rolling in to brownwood, which means high winds, and kick ass sailing in my little 14' laser. (olympic class one man race boat)

So I'm sailing along at something like 20?mph, go for more speed, cut across the wind a little further and pull on the main sheet (tightens the sail basically, making more power) the boat rocked up out of the water just as a huge gust of wind hit, and the damn mast broke out of its hole . the whole part of the boat that holds the mast is one big hole now. And somewhere in the chaos of all of that, my rudder got broken in half.

According to most people, that is irrepairable damage, But I will certainly try. Either that or get my catamaran working.. I sure did like the laser though, its an unbalasted sail boat, so you have you use your weight to keep it upright. In high winds like that you have to lean way over the side of the boat with your feet in a strap.. Fun as hell but I pushed her way too far. Funniest part of the whole thing is it was named "Contingency II" Go figure.

But yeah, I broke my boat. :(

(I'm with stupid emoticon here^)
TTIWWOP
Good Job.

lol.. thats a story in itself. After the mast broke I was promptly blown to shore where I dismantled the boat, broke the mast down and tied it and the boom to the deck of the boat, tied what was left of the rudder in place, and tried paddling back (I always have a 2' paddle on board just incase) but that didnt work against the wind, so I grabbed a section of sail, stood up, held the top of the sail above my head and held it tight with my feet and sailed my ass back home at like .2mph I actually sailed home on about 10 sq. feet of sail.

ROFL!

you should submit your story to "I shouldn't be alive"
:D

you should invest in one of those electric motors...
saved my ass a few times...

and good thing you're a big bastard, imagine a normal sized person trying to act as a mast...

lol @ shouldn't be alive

there is nowhere to mount a trolling motor, nor anywhere to put a battery.. and the battery would be dangerous, as those lil bastards like to flip over every once in a while..

That and to be a "powered craft" would require registration.. and titling. A bunch of stuff I didnt feel like messing with. You generally dont need it though, as you can get places on 1mph wind if need be. you know, if you have a mast.. :p

I once rolled a boat...wish I had pictures,..

I was about 17. I was driving the family's van and towing a 21' tri-hull with an inboard outboard straight 6.

A couple of tires were on back-order for the rear of the van, so my dad had the tire shop put a couple of used tires on.

The tread separated and wrapped around the axle locked up on that side.

It it fishtailed, I countersteered (my friends and I used to practice dukes of hazzard out on country) Trailer jack-knifed. Tounge twisted. Boat rolled over.

Whole package slid into I-kid-you-not a fire hydrant. They do not spray out like in the movies when the top sheers off. A sprinkler system anti-syphon valve got hit and there was this arc of water over the whole scene. Good times.

Back