i want to be a consultant

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
I just got a job offer.... but i turned it down cuz i'm a pussy :cry:

I have a 6 month+ contract position I would like to discuss with you. It is with a corporate client in Greenwich, CT. The salary range is 60-65/hr . Below is a detailed job description. If you do have an interest, please contact me. I look forward to hearing from you and have a great day!

MS SQL 2000 Developer

Person will be responsible for creating, maintaining , and massaging data/table for the clients report system . Strong query, store procedures, DTS packaging experience. MS Analytical Services is a plus.

60 bucks a fucking hour. thats 3 times my salary....

but its a damn contract :cry: why can't i find a job like this that is long-term?

well, can you do it non full time?

its kind of hard to give up job security, ESPECIALLY with a mortgage and all

60 beans an hour is 120k a year, which means i'll gross 60k in 6 months.

so technically, i CAN afford, to work for 6 months, and look for another job for the next 6 months....

Untill you work a month and they decide they don't like you or someone happens to find someone 'better'. Then they can your ass without thinking twice because you're just a consultant.

Consulting is great work. This is why they pay you so much more because there is NO job security. :p But, those kind of jobs are easy to find. I say go for it, consulting for a few years. Thats how I landed full time where I'm at now, was consulting for them. It can work out. :) SACK UP! :p

yeah, i can pick up a consultant job pretty much anywhere, but i like where i am too much to leave.

I've been a consultant for 8 years. It used to be easy, now it's tough. I'm seasoned and know the game like the back of my hand, and because of that I'm top shelf pussy for these consulting firms. If you're a noob though , you run the risk of them totally fucking you. If this position is serious I can push them to $80 an hour. Because at $65 an hour they are charging $100-$120 for you.

Do you also realise what a haul Greenwich is for you ? It's 2 hours for me each way. Tack on another 1.5 hours for you. That and with the WRX you'll need to fuel up daily.

I wouldn't go to Greenwich for less than $45 an hour - and that better be a tit job.

Believe it or not, you're in prime area for consulting. All the gigs are in Hartford these days. I can hook you up with a contract for $45-$55 an hour easily. I told you, clown, send me your resume.

Just curious, are any of you guys .net developers? I've been reading that the market for .net developers is going crazy right now. Kinda considering this for when I graduate.

Quoted post[/post]]
Untill you work a month and they decide they don't like you or someone happens to find someone 'better'. Then they can your ass without thinking twice because you're just a consultant.

contract = contract. if you sign for 6 months, you get paid for 6 months, or you take them to court for violating such contract. but it works back at you too-- you really can't quit.

Quoted post[/post]]
Haha or they'll can him if he fails a drug test :p :p :p :p

i'm clean... i would have no problems taking a drug test.

Quoted post[/post]]
Just curious, are any of you guys .net developers? I've been reading that the market for .net developers is going crazy right now. Kinda considering this for when I graduate.

.net fucking sucks. i hate it.
visual studio blows
it creates shitty code thats impossible to read cleanly
its all stupid controls
there's better ways to do anything you can do i .net, but corprate america seems to be hung up on paying STUPID amounts of money for SHITTY products and licensing.....

i avoid working with .net as much as possible.

/rant

Quoted post[/post]]

.net fucking sucks. i hate it.
visual studio blows
it creates shitty code thats impossible to read cleanly
its all stupid controls
there's better ways to do anything you can do i .net, but corprate america seems to be hung up on paying STUPID amounts of money for SHITTY products and licensing.....

i avoid working with .net as much as possible.

/rant

B you hate all MS stuff lol, doesn't hide the fact that .Net shit is in high demand and people are paying very well for people who know this shit.......

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

contract = contract. if you sign for 6 months, you get paid for 6 months, or you take them to court for violating such contract. but it works back at you too-- you really can't quit.

No, you can get out of a contract at the drop of a hat. You're not the one providing their contract - your recruiter is. They'll get someone else in there. They won't ever talk to you again, but hey if you want to leave you take that into account.

As far as them getting rid of you, absolutely. The client can come up with anything from incrimination to "I simply don't want him here anymore".

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Before you make a bold statement like that, you should read the fine print of the contract.

I've seen contracts that were 3 year contracts with (as an example) a 3 month clause stating the employer can let you go at will if they feel you're not doing the job you were contracted to do well enough/to their standards within that first 3 month 'probation' period as they like to call it.

Back