idle fluctuation under braking, vac leak ? '92 Accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DoubleD

I've got this situation where my engine rev's climb a couple hundred when I let off the brake after pushing hard. I also feel that the engine bogs (just a bit)sometimes under heavy braking.

I pulled the intake manifold a couple months ago, new gasket, full polish, clean out the EGR ports (new port plugs all around).

The idle was all wacked after the install, pulled the idle controller to clean it as well (turns out that my buddy hadn't fully moved the temp control lever inside when we were filling the cooling system, I figure that an air bubble in the heater core migrated to the idle control and was messing with it). Tried a bunch of cooling system bleed techniques (thanks Honda Swap!), pretty much got rid of the loping idle, but it seems to me that the idle climb after braking wasn't there before the whole intake oddessy (it even happens when parked, all I have to do is punch the brake, let it off, and the idle jumps a bit. The more I do it, the smaller the jump gets).

1. Is this normal?
  2. I've sprayed the engine down with intake cleaner, can't seem to find any vac issues. Is this a vac issue? Should I try harder to find it? The o-ring for th idle controller was pretty limp looking, maybe it's sealing, but not 100%?
  3. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for any help,

Good lines,

Dan

it's normal...my rex did it, and so does my new car... not sure what causes it though... but yeah, it's normal.

well ur brake booster works on intake maniold vacum so its normal that it goes a lil down but not a crazy amount it shouldnt be very noticeable. u might have a bad brake booster. it migth have a leak lettin more air into the intake at times when u brake causing it to kinda rev high or lower

Back