idle jumping with a/c on. ok with a/c off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bannacrx

hi. ive got a rather strange problem.

ive got a 94 civic ex d16z6 vtec. the ac blew cold and worked fine when i got the car yesterday but today i took it for a drive around the city and eventually the ac stopped blowing cold and the idle started jumping up and down like the iac valve is bad or it has no tps or a theres a vaccum leak. but what i dont understand is that when i turn the ac on is when the idle is jumping and turn the ac button off it idles fine. but when i turn the button back on, it starts jumping again. any ideas? thank you.

Sounds like the iacv to me. The ecu has an input so it knows if the a/c compressor is being used. The output signal goes to the iacv to compensate for the increased load.

ok that makes sense for the idle. but i dont understand the timing of the matter. ac stops blowing cold and the idle jumps right at the same time?

hmm maybe the switch went bad or something. I am no expert on car a/c so hopefully someone can add to this

Lol im only half glad i dont have a/c, 30 degress celcius with 80% humidity sucks when your in downtown traffic.

Back