Idle Probs b16a2 in ek

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

keiserB16

Ok, now i know im gonna get like 20 posts saying just search around and ull find but i have and maybe im just looking in the wrong spots but idk. OK im running a b16a2 with stock wiring harness in my 97 hatch, conversion harness to an obd1 gsr computer. idle keeps going up and down from 1000-2000...tried cleaning the iacv, no luck. any other ideas?

Originally posted by keiserB16@Feb 21 2005, 06:15 PM
Ok, now i know im gonna get like 20 posts saying just search around and ull find but i have and maybe im just looking in the wrong spots but idk. OK im running a b16a2 with stock wiring harness in my 97 hatch, conversion harness to an obd1 gsr computer. idle keeps going up and down from 1000-2000...tried cleaning the iacv, no luck. any other ideas?
[post=464158]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah tons!!! test shit!

TPS, MAP sensor, vacuum leaks.

dont know how to test, get a manual for a 00 civic SI :)

Fast Idle Thermo Valve, its right under the TB, crack it open and screw in the plastic "screw"

Originally posted by DelSlo+Feb 21 2005, 06:17 PM-->
keiserB16
@Feb 21 2005, 06:15 PM
[post=464158]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah tons!!! test shit!

TPS, MAP sensor, vacuum leaks.

dont know how to test, get a manual for a 00 civic SI :)
[post=464159]Quoted post[/post]​

still idle surge, no vacuum leaks, iacv was conerted from 3-2 wire properly, iacv works was cleaned and tested, how do u test map, and tps?...also my air intake temperature is not installed because i have an aem short ram...can this cause idle surge?

I am having the same prob. Jumps from 1000 to 1500. No vacuum leaks, also have short ram. Map is good. Any thoughts?

read the articles section.

you want to make sure the TPS voltage is .5 volts at closed throttle, 4.5 volts at WOT

I went through all the same tests and it ended up being the amount of deflection on my throttle cable,wish I woulda checked that first.

its supposed to be 10-12mm[3/8-1/2inch] which seemed like alot to me but it worked so you might check.

oddly enough my b16a2 started doin that yesterday, now i have only one code and thats for the intake air temperature, but i used my d series harness and plugged everything in, but there was no intake air temp. sensor, i still cant see one on the intake anywhere. did b16a2's even have one? i know its gonna throw a code cause its my obd1 ecu, but if they did have one, ill make one on the intake!

but mine doesnt always do it, it can sit there and idle perfectly, when you drive it and change engine load and then let it idle, it surges from 1000, 1200. then it will settle at a smooth idle after a few seconds of idling!

on the 00 si the IAT sensor is in the intake arm about 10 inches before the manifold,so yes b16a2's do have IAT sensor.
I used the sensor and plug out of my dx engine and it worked fine,I would've had to lenghten the wires anyway as my gsr harnesses IAT is closer to the manifold.

just fyi I pull my CAI in heavy rain and just clamp my filter to my intake manifold and tie the IAT sensor to the clamp and it works well enough to not throw a code but gas goes a little quick with the wrong temp reading,so just having it connected beats the code.

awesome, ok thanx, yeah iknow GSR ones sit on the top on the plenum closer to the throttle body.

i think my best bet is like you, extend the wires and plug and ill drill out a hole on my short ram tube for hte sensor to fit and put it in with the two little screws!

the sensor is a simple resistor, i cant see it being too expensive..but ya never know with honda!

either way thanx for the info! :)

the actual sensor that came w/my AEM CAI is just plastic[you might be able to get a cheap AEM replacement for cheaper],and its held in by a rubber grommet,hell you could probably even tape it.I do have the 95 and 96-00 helms if you need nething.

Originally posted by swanny@Feb 22 2005, 12:16 PM
Fast Idle Thermo Valve, its right under the TB, crack it open and screw in the plastic "screw"
[post=464224]Quoted post[/post]​

The VTEC Supplement says you should not disassemble this unit as it is factory set. However, it can be by-passed.

I was having similar idle problems with my B16A conversion into 94 Civic 4 Door (designated Vti here in Australia). I was getting Code 3 and Code 14 on the ECU but once I connected the Knock Sensor directly to the ECU these codes disappeared (but were substituted with a Code 20). Idle has dropped to a steady 1300 (still too high but I'm working on that).

Are you running your Knock Sensor?

Yes, check your throttle cable. Is it deflecting adequately. I made a new cable clamp and it was a little too tight on the cable (I used the original cable) so letting it out also helped.

My original engine was SOHC VTEC D16Y1 and Aus engines don't have knock sensors.

Hope this helps.

Peter

im not running my knock sensor no, i put my motor into an obd1 sol, and right now its still running on the stock d16z6 ecu, so the ecu isnt looking for a knock signal!

Back