Ignition Coil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Ya know, i knew it would happen if i didnt send Tab my distributor. I think my coil might have be going out. When it is REALLY hot outside my car doesnt start, it just cranks and cranks. When i do get it going, if i drive for more than 20 minutes the exhaust starts to sputter, and it just doesnt sound pleasant at all. Does that sound like the coil is going out to anyone else?

coil or main relay (but the relay should only effect the starting part). Also check into the wiring that attaches in the dizzy (to the coil). I had an issue a while ago like yours, but the wiring was just loose and it was never a problem again.

matt

I think if it gets really hot the main relay can be effected as you re driving as well (i.e. some time of power loss). Otherwise, you might have a combination of both problems. The main relay switch is a problem that is most likely when your car wont start in hot weather. I just fixed mine a week and a half ago, easy to fix. Part was around 80 to 90 canadian at the honda dealership.

yeah, i thought it was the relay too, but i checked it before i went to work today, and all the solder looks solid, no cracking...it just sounds really bad if im in cruise for a while and then need to accelorate...Ill check the coil...i can get a new one for like 90 bucks, but it wont be this payday...just wanted to see what yall thought before i did it.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Aug 24 2005, 06:03 PM
Ya know, i knew it would happen if i didnt send Tab my distributor. I think my coil might have be going out. When it is REALLY hot outside my car doesnt start, it just cranks and cranks. When i do get it going, if i drive for more than 20 minutes the exhaust starts to sputter, and it just doesnt sound pleasant at all. Does that sound like the coil is going out to anyone else?
[post=544778]Quoted post[/post]​

well, you can PM me for more advice, but here's my take.

Hot parts that don't start leads me to the ignitor. It's inside the distributor, has a few spade connectors on it, and two screws holding it in. This part is common amongst F and H series distributors. It takes five minutes to change, and you can swap it from your dizzy on the shelf.

You can test the coil. I used 90-91 Accord specs to test my internal coil when the H22 dizzy went out. I had to switch the guts out to change from internal to external coil. My coil did not test to Accord specs with a multimeter, so I swapped internals, and BAM, spark. BTW, my H22 dizzy worked fine when I pulled my motor, and six months later on my new car install, it didn't work at all.

Besides the ignitor, and the coil, the rest of the electronics pull out as one unit. This means, in case you do the swap, that you keep the H22 housing, and the H22 shaft. The rest of the goods are just held in with screws, and some electrical connectors. I swapped from Accord external dizzy to H22 internal housing with no ill effects.

Thanks Reiko for being an active member, I hope this helps. :)

Also, if we're talking about an internal coil distributor here, it could be that the spring inside the cap (or possibly the rotor, it was so long ago) is starting to wear out. When cold, the spring is still doing its job because colder metal is more rigid than hotter metal. However, when the engine heats up, the spring starts to lose its "springiness", and doesn't do its job anymore. When this happened to me, it caused my car to sputter and hesitate at low-to-mid rpm. I changed the cap and rotor, and the problem went away.

Hope that helps. I'd check that first before you spent all the money on a new coil.

Im gonna go with DOHC's suggestion...that is exactly what happends. If i REALLY drive my car i dont notice anything, but i HAVE to redline shift not to get a hesitation, and really baby my clutch in first to get any power. Im in austin right now, so ill replace the rotor when i get home...im pretty sure thats the problem.

It might, i dont know...i was driving back home, and 70 miles from dallas i had a blow out...and wouldnt you know it, i didnt have my key for my rims. So currently my car is in West (yeah thats the name of the city) TX until i get another key and/or get a tire and rim mounted.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Aug 29 2005, 12:27 PM
It might, i dont know...i was driving back home, and 70 miles from dallas i had a blow out...and wouldnt you know it, i didnt have my key for my rims. So currently my car is in West (yeah thats the name of the city) TX until i get another key and/or get a tire and rim mounted.
[post=546776]Quoted post[/post]​
damn happened to me to heh

Back