Ignition Upgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

acurabdby

Hey Guys,

I gotta question maybe ya'll can help me out with I'm getting my car readey for a turbo set up I have 99 LS Integra and I'm wondering what kind of Ignition upgrades I'll need to do. I have absolutly no idea how all the aftermarket ignition stuff works so I come to you guys to educate me on the matter.

I would really appreciate any help u can offer thanks!
:unsure:

Im clueless to ignition as well. What exactly are colder running plugs and why does it help to retard the timing a little? Would you advance the timing for an all motor car as opposed to one with forced induction such as nitrous or turbo when you retard the timing :shrug2:

Originally posted by hondaman16lx@Feb 16 2004, 01:31 PM
im clueless to ignition as well what exactly are colder running plugs and why does it help to retard the timing a little woudl u do the opposite for an all motor car :shrug2:

he's setting up for turbo. im not sure what these things acually do, but in know changing the ignition reduces the chance for detonation. and the colder plugs, i have a friend with a 00' civic si w/turbo, and his car wouldnt run right, so he bought some plugs designed for nitrous apps. not sure why they are considered colder, but i know that they help on forced induction engines.

lets just wait until loco reads this, he'll know.

unless you plan on boosting more than a bar (14.5psi) your stock honda ignition system should be more than adaquate. Even then, I consider ignition upgrades a "nice thing to have" as opposed to a necessity.

As for advancing/retarding timing, you can pretty much forget doing that by turning the distributor. Turbocharged cars that run more than very low boost (5psi or so) really require some form of engine management (AEM, hondata, chip that understands boost, SMT6, etc.) that can retard timing progressively as boost increases. Simply retarding the timing at the distributor will not cut it.

As for plugs, the heat range of the plug is what was being referred to earlier. Denso iridium has a decent writeup of it on their webpage. One sentence synopsis: colder plugs are used in motors that generate a lot of heat because they allow heat to flow out of the combustion chamber faster, helping keep the combustion chamber free from hot-spots that can serve as starting points for detonation.

Edit: http://www.densoiridium.com/heatranges.htm

Back