Illumina's and AGX's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

I am confused. I just looked at the KYB website, and noticed they have three different AGX shocks make for the Civic. A different part number for the 92-95, 96-00, and the 01-02 civic. Whereas, Tokico only has one shock for all 92-00 civics. My question is, what is the difference between the AGX shocks made for the different year civics? Would it be possible to use an AGX shock made for a 96-00 civic on my 94 model? (Just theoretically. I'm not saying I want to)

the rear lca bushings for the 96-00 civics is smaller and thinner than the one on 92-95's. i belive you can make a 5th gen rear shock work on a 6th gen by using shims or washers, but i dont belive the opposite is true. but.. why risk it, get what the manufacturer reccomends for your model.

If that is true, then why do the same Illumina shocks work for 5th and 6th gens? 92-00. KYB's are different, but Tokico's are all the same.

The reason I am at all asking this, is I have the opportunity to buy AGX's made for a 6th gen civic, so I need to know if they'll fit.

either will work.. shims or no rims as long as you line it up properly and tighten every thing but as he said if ur paying full price might as well get whats recommended , if ur getting some thing discounted or free .. dont matter to me heh

Could anyone comment on what b204dr posted? I need to be sure he's right before I buy these.

Thanks for the info, b204dr

Illuminas come to fit 5th gens, and provide you with the spacers needed to make them fit on 96+. Where as, other companies make specific ones that are different sizes for the generational differences.

i have 97-01 prelude shocks on my 00 civic ( they work great for auto x sucks for daily drive ) i have eibach springs)(note only in the front the rears wont fit due to the fact the rears rod is like 6 inches longer than a civics - the front is only longer by an inch or 2 creating much quicker repsonse with stiff springs! i swap out back to normal agx for my daily drive

Back