I'm An Idiot!! Can You Help?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JohnnyWadd

Okay, first off, let me say that I'm a dumbass!! I locked my keys in my trunk. What's worse, I only have one set and both the trunk-pop lever and the back seat are locked. See, I got a car stolen about a year ago, and I'm paranoid about getting robbed again. So, I figure that if someone breaks in, maybe I can keep them away from my tools in the trunk by locking all of the access points. Great idea, right?!

Well, right now, it seems like a decidedly stupid idea. I showed them!! I even kept my own ass outta my trunk. Well, anyway, I was rummaging around in the trunk and when I was finished, I noticed that I'd shut the trunk lid but left the keys inside. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I need to get into the trunk without messing anything up. I was hoping that someone could help.

The good news is that the car itself is unlocked. So, if there's a way to get in via the passenger compartment, at least I can get in there. Is it possible to take the VIN to the dealer and have another key cut, or will I have to actually remove one of the lock cylinders to get a new one?

I do have one idea. Maybe someone can shed some light. I removed the trim panel that sits on the bottom of the door where the carpet meets the sheet metal. I can peel the carpet back a bit, and when I look at the assembly that holds the levers for the trunk lid and the fuel door I can see a couple of bolts. Does anybody think that if I removed those two bolts that I can loosen the assembly enough to get at the cable for the trunk lid pop to manually trigger it? It'll be an arduous task, but it beats breaking in or paying a locksmith to open it.

Any takers on this one? I'd appreciate any info you can give. I'm up sh*t creek on this one so far. Lucky my back-up car is up and running.

Thanks for your help.
Jon

well if yoou can pull one of the speakers out and there should be a release tab that will let down the seat from inside the trunk but you will have to take the speaker out

go to the dealership. you will need to show proof of ownership (reg/title or something) before they will cut you a key based off the vin.

All right... I got in. And, the keys were exactly where I thought they were. They were inside the trunk. I don't think I'm entirely stupid, though. The way that the keys were sitting, it looks like I accidentally dropped them rather than just set them down inside the trunk. That would make sense, considering that I really had my hands full when I was getting in there. I feel stupid, but not as stupid anymore.

So, how did I do it you ask? I'm glad you asked that. I hesitate to write it here due to the number of theiving bastards in the world. But, if you get right down to it, if someone stole or broke into a car, I doubt that they're going to let a locked trunk stop them. If they want in the trunk, they'll get in the trunk. In fact, I'd imagine that the fact that it's locked would make them more curious as to what was hidden in there.

Ultimately, what I did was to disassemble the bracket that holds the levers to the fuel door and the trunk release. There is one phillips head screw holding the plastic trim piece onto the bracket. Remove that, and you have access to the two bolts that hold the bracket to the body. Remove those and you can pull the bracket up enough to gain access to the cable. Once you have access, you can trigger the trunk release manually by pulling on the cable to pop the trunk. It was a bit of a bitch, but not too bad. I'm lucky that the car itself was unlocked. It made my life much easier.

All right, thanks for the input. I gotta go. I've got a date with the locksmith!!

Jon

By the way, nick, why don't you piss off. No one cares about your opinion, so you can keep it to yourself. You don't know me, so don't try to pass judgment about me. How would you like it if I said that you sounded like a rapist or a child molestor? Accusing me of being a thief is almost as bad and just about as offensive.

take it easy, take it easy...he was just playing with you...be nice. let it go and be an adult...

Back