I'm Confused

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sohcslammer

This question spans two forums but I thought it was more relevant to this forum than forced induction so....

As some of you know, I'm just a week or two away from swapping out the sohc. I have been planning GSR + JRSC for like 6 months. Now thanks to the knowledgable people here, I'm having doubts. Now I'm thinking b18c bottom with a b16 head. Can I run the ctr pistons and ctr cams in a b18c/b16 hybrid? Someone said the b16 head will lower the gsr's cr. If so, is this a better setup for psi? I have no idea about cost for the b18/b16 hybrid but I was getting the b18c installed with a clutch and header for $3000. Part two of the question is: what's better if I am running a low psi of 6-9; jrsc or turbo? I figured the turbo with IC and piping would run me MUCH more than the sc. Thanx guys -
Shadney

heres the deal. if your using a head (like the b16) and it does in fact lower compression, that means there is actually *more* clearance than stock, so any piston that would fit in the stock gsr would probably work alright with your hybrid. however, doing all this hybrid mumbo jumbo might not be worth it for you. You will be plenty happy with a forced induction GSR I would bargain to say. The reason for putting the b16 head up on there is mainly to increase the "flow" of the head, since it it rumored to have better airflow characteristics. It's alot of money for a minimal advantage, unless your going for a real high HP application. In other words, I'd say with the stock GSR. that 3000 dollar deal is pretty good IMO.

As far as your PSI question goes, 6-9 psi is right around the optimal pressure for a base supercharger. For a turbo, it's a different story. It all depends what turbo your going with. If your going with like a t60-1, 9 psi is ALOT of air. If your going with a smaller turbo, like a 14 or 15g or something, 6-9 psi isn't really all that much.

Also, you can build a turbo kit for FAR less than the sticker price of a new JRSC kit. It all depends what you want. It sounds to me like you would probably be pretty happy with a SC'd GSR. The turbo might only be a headache for you. However out of my good judgement :p, I will always reccomend a turbo over an SC for street use.

hope that helps.

Peace

if you put CTR pistons in a B18c block, even with the b16 head, you would be running pretty high pressure in the cylinders. you would be at risk of detonation, unless you have the fuel managment, and probably at least a mix of racing fuel and pump gas.

Thanx guys. I couldn't have asked for more presice and to the point answers. I think I will stick with the gsr just for the sake of the headache involved with the hybrid. I'll let you know when it goes down. Look for more questions when my buddy's 2001 GS 'teggy gets ripped apart. :thumbsup:

Good choice, get that fucker in there, get it running great and all, then tinker with it............

Milan

Back