1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imobilizer question

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by smooth_criminal, Mar 9, 2004.

1. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal Senior Member

I'm about to swap a 99Ls motor into my 96 civic. Am i going to run into any Imobilizer problems?

2. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

I don't think the 99 LS had an immobilizer.
    It is kind of a moot point, however. Your motor/ECU is OBD2B (99-01). You car is OBD2A (96-98). You can save yourself a considerable amount of pain and suffering by buying a 96-98 integra LS ECU and either buying a 96-98 integra engine wire harness or using your stock harness with any applicable connectors changed. No 96-98 cars except the ITR had immobilizers, so with a 96-98 ECU you will definately be in the clear, AND you won't need a conversion harness.
    Should be an easy swap. Good luck.

3. katman

katman Member

eh, your a little off with your info...

1a) OBD2a for integra's range from 96-99. So, he can fully plug-in & use the 99 LS ecu in his 96 civic if he desires -- and there is NO IMMobilizer for any 96-99 integra ecu's at all. IMMobilizer's spawned for US integra ecu's from 00-01.

1b) JDM ECU's do not have an IMM. Only & all US 99-01 integra have an IMM (civic do not & never had IMM)

2) HE CANNOT USE AN OBD2 INTEGRA WIRE HARNESS IN HIS 96 CIVIC. all EK civic's use a 1-piece style engine harness, whereas all 92-01 integra's use a 2-piece engine harness (break off point is at the passenger side shock tower).

He has 2 choices for wiring:
    [a] Reuse his existing civic harness & perform a couple fixes to it (IACV mainly)
    or
    He can try & find a 96-98 EX coupe engine harness, which will be straight plug n' play, no wiring needed at all - plus he'll have VTEC wiring dormant, so whenver he wants to switch to a VTEC engine (or head) the wiring is already there.

cheerio!

4. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

thanks katman, I know we keep you around for somethin :)

5. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal Senior Member

Katman,
    I was hoping to just reuse my LX harness. What wires will i need to ADD/Change for this to work?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted