Imobilizer question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smooth_criminal

I'm about to swap a 99Ls motor into my 96 civic. Am i going to run into any Imobilizer problems?

I don't think the 99 LS had an immobilizer.
It is kind of a moot point, however. Your motor/ECU is OBD2B (99-01). You car is OBD2A (96-98). You can save yourself a considerable amount of pain and suffering by buying a 96-98 integra LS ECU and either buying a 96-98 integra engine wire harness or using your stock harness with any applicable connectors changed. No 96-98 cars except the ITR had immobilizers, so with a 96-98 ECU you will definately be in the clear, AND you won't need a conversion harness.
Should be an easy swap. Good luck.

Originally posted by radnulb@Mar 9 2004, 01:35 PM
I don't think the 99 LS had an immobilizer.
It is kind of a moot point, however. Your motor/ECU is OBD2B (99-01). You car is OBD2A (96-98). You can save yourself a considerable amount of pain and suffering by buying a 96-98 integra LS ECU and either buying a 96-98 integra engine wire harness or using your stock harness with any applicable connectors changed. No 96-98 cars except the ITR had immobilizers, so with a 96-98 ECU you will definately be in the clear, AND you won't need a conversion harness.
Should be an easy swap. Good luck.

eh, your a little off with your info...

1a) OBD2a for integra's range from 96-99. So, he can fully plug-in & use the 99 LS ecu in his 96 civic if he desires -- and there is NO IMMobilizer for any 96-99 integra ecu's at all. IMMobilizer's spawned for US integra ecu's from 00-01.

1b) JDM ECU's do not have an IMM. Only & all US 99-01 integra have an IMM (civic do not & never had IMM)

2) HE CANNOT USE AN OBD2 INTEGRA WIRE HARNESS IN HIS 96 CIVIC. all EK civic's use a 1-piece style engine harness, whereas all 92-01 integra's use a 2-piece engine harness (break off point is at the passenger side shock tower).

He has 2 choices for wiring:
[a] Reuse his existing civic harness & perform a couple fixes to it (IACV mainly)
or
He can try & find a 96-98 EX coupe engine harness, which will be straight plug n' play, no wiring needed at all - plus he'll have VTEC wiring dormant, so whenver he wants to switch to a VTEC engine (or head) the wiring is already there.

cheerio!

thanks katman, I know we keep you around for somethin :)

Back