In the market for a cheap video camera

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
I want something that's around $200-$300. It has to be DV. So far I've found these two which I like. Any comments on them?

I like the Samsung because of the MemoryStick (which I have a few of) slot and USB 2.0 (don't have a firewire port).

From talking to a guy at REX, he recommended the Panasonic above almost all in the price range. It has USB and firewire capabilities, but I'm not sure of the speed of USB. Also, it uses SD memory cards, which i don't want to buy in addition to tapes. And it's a spendier camcorder. But the size is a bit smaller.

05756514000-dlv.jpg

Samsung SC-D103

# Zoom Lens: 18x Optical, 900x Digital
# 680K Pixel CCD
# 2.5" Color LCD (112K Pixels)
# B&W Viewfinder
# Color Slow Shutter
# Power Nite Pix
# Video Light
# Digital Image Stabilization (DIS)
# Easy-Q, - Navi, -Op.
# IEEE1394/USB
# Memory Stick Slot
# MPEG4/QVGA/10fps
# Multi-Language OSD

00356434000-dlv.jpg

# Format MiniDV (Digital)
# Image Stabilization Yes
# LCD Screen Size 2.5''
# Viewfinder Black and white
# Built-in Light Yes
# Optical Zoom 20x
# Digital Zoom 800x
# Digital Still Picture Capable Yes
# Max. Digital Still Picture Resolution Below 1 megapixel
# Digital Still Picture Storage SD memory card
# Included Memory None
# Output to Personal Computer IEEE 1394, USB, SD memory card
# Analog Input No
# Remote Control No
# Low Light Mode MagicPix®
# Included Battery Unavailable
# Manufacturer's Battery Life Rating Unavailable
# Included Software None
# Included Accessories A/V cables, AC adapter/charger, shoulder strap, lens cap
# Other Features Zoom microphone, soft-skin mode, RapidFireâ„¢ consecutive still shots, Web camera, picture-in-picture, 1.3-second quick start
# Warranty:Months
# Labor/Parts 3/12
# Item Height in Inches 3.4
# Item Width in Inches 2.8
# Item Depth in Inches 4.4
# Weight 14 oz

Step up to the Sony.. Me and Kyle love our Sony's.. He has last years and I picked up this years.. I got it for under 500.00 also.. Awesome Camera too. You could pick up the one without the Flash Card for the Pictures for around 400 even I think too.

The Model of the one I have is DCR-HC30..

you're going to want a firewire setup.
my camera supports both- and even though usb 2.0 is technically faster than firewire, it downloads it a little choppy, and makes editing it a pain. ieee1394 pci cards are like 15 bucks. go frewire dude.

Originally posted by CarAudiophile@Feb 8 2005, 05:19 PM
Step up to the Sony.. Me and Kyle love our Sony's.. He has last years and I picked up this years.. I got it for under 500.00 also.. Awesome Camera too. You could pick up the one without the Flash Card for the Pictures for around 400 even I think too.

The Model of the one I have is DCR-HC30..
[post=458214]Quoted post[/post]​

Too spendy. I'm just looking for a video camera that I can tape drags, auto-x's, and burnouts with, then transfer to my computer to compress and upload.

I can get both those cameras right around $200.

Actually $159 shipped. Bought the Samsung on eBay from a Sears Liquidation auction. It's a gamble as if all the cables are included, but if not, it's still a killer deal and it'll be cheaper to find the cables elsewhere than paying for it new ($279 on sale at Sears).
Hope it works well =)

WOW.

Got the camera already, and it's brand new. Even has the little plastic thing to protect the lcd still stuck on from the factory. Everything was included. Best deal evAr.

Back