Individual Throttle Bodies

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I was looking at the throttles on some skylines and some of them have been converted from individual to a big single in front of the manifold. then looking at the hondas i see them taking out the single TB and replacing them with individual TBs. what are the advantages of individual throttle bodies and are they worth it?

depends on your other mods, you would need high compression and radical cams... only when you do all that would they be really worth it

ITB's are for engines that are modded to hell. They are so unstreetable, make you get like 5mpg and if your in cali, good luck getting that smoged. They are for people that only drive on road course and thats it. They are badass but impartical and extremly expensive.

so ITBs are only good for all-motor apps with no air filter? i ask that b/c i want to know if using ITB on FI app would be better than a singe TB. i am comparing it to the skyline, b/c its a turbo engine but many people convert it from ITB to single. IMO the extra throttle plates is an obstruction in the path of air, is this right?

well for hondas right now thats the only thing out. but some other cars (turbo) use ITBs; skyline, bugatti eb110, and some others. but its possible to convert one of the toda ITBs to run turbo by removing the intake trumpet and fuel injection port and using a adaptor to hook up a manifold.

you are looking at about 4 grand for an ITB setup.

IMO, you can make more power than you can use on a honda with a turbo system, and a block to hold it. so why spend 4g's on something that is impossible to tune, a bitch to setup, and won't gain you any power to the ground

Shall we clear some things up first?

1- ITB's are streetable with, dare I say it? TUNING Yes kids, HP gains are very LARGE, but tuning is key. This is not a mod for those of you that want gas mileage.

2- ITB's are used for Turbo/SC(not jackson) and NA engines. Again, it's all in the TUNING

3- ITB's start at about $1700, and can go as high as $2700

Hayward ITB's

TWM Induction

ok thanks. I am not worried about mileage b/c its going to be in a track car. right now im just trying to get ideas for the car (integra gsr turbo)

ITB are very agressive, you need a good ass ECU, preferrably hondata. The only manufacturer that makes ITB for hondas is TODA, the only one i know. you can't even have a good idle.

there are several companies that make ITBs for hondas
im pretty sure hondata wont work for them... you need an actual stand alone system
you can get as good of an idle as you want..... theres plenty of cars that come with them stock... its all about how well you tune them

they are not a mod for beginners

at that point you would probably consider running a stand alone engine managment system, tecIII, motec...

at that point you would probably want to remove your head from your ass, after you realize you paid 1700 for a massive headache

by the time you get ITBs you should already have a fully built engine compleatly maxed out and now your looking for that last item to get the absolute max HP out of your setup
at this point you will have at least 10-15k into your engine so who gives a fuck about another 2k (youve spent too much to start getting cheap now)

ITBs go hand in hand with a stand alone management system... they allow you to tune each cyl for max output....

this is not a bolt on mod
this is not for beginners
this is for experienced tuners with fully built engines

Originally posted by viciousracing@Apr 21 2003, 10:37 AM
ITB are very agressive, you need a good ass ECU, preferrably hondata. The only manufacturer that makes ITB for hondas is TODA, the only one i know. you can't even have a good idle.

Apparantly, you didn't see my post above.

TODA doesn't even make them. They were made by TWM for TODA.

Yes, you can have a good idle.

last time i checked with nguyenie from All Shot Motorsports, (he has EG6 B18C5 Fully Buillt) his shit was not idling well at all, even with the best tuning ever, so i thought that the ITB's must be the problem.

what kind of cam is he running????
if its all kinds of stupidly agressive than that is more than likely the cause of the poor idle

I guess it all depends on what you call good idle. I was able to get the car to idle around 1300 rpm's. That is idling on cams with more than 12mm of lift. But that is with a standalone computer. I have done ITB's on factory ECU's but you have to have some sort of vacumn canister, for the MAP sensor. Take a look at the motor in the for sale section.
It has ITB's. B). Hint hint. Some one should buy it.

ITB's will make sure that all of our FOUR cylinders will get a equal amount of air. If you notice how our original oem intake manifolds sit, the TB is on the left which means cyclinder 4 is getting more air than cylinder 1, (I believe that the combustion sequence is from left to right 4-2-3-1)

I have never used ITB's and personally I really wouldn't plan on using them. A buddy of mine purchased TWM ITB's and was having tuning problems up the yin yang. I believe it's a love hate relationship, and they do a while to tune out using a dyno of course.

The way I see it, the fastest NA honda in the world doesn't use em, why should I.

Milan

Back