Input Selector on Amps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

1.) I have decided to run four speakers with a 4 channel amp, and one sub with a bridged 2 channel amp. My headunit only has two RCA outputs though--one for the front speakers and one for the rear speakers. So, from what I understand I will need to run the 4 channel amp using the front RCA output, and the 2 channel amp using the rear RCA output. So, that means I will need a 4 channel amp with a variable channel input selector, or as they sometimes write it: A, A/B input. Is this a normal thing for amps to have? Because most don't even mention it.

2.) In this setup with 4 speakers and a sub, is it better to buy full range speakers, or tweeters? I need to choose between tweeters, 2 ways, 3 ways, 4 ways, 5 ways.... Celesta mentioned the JL Audio TL series speakers, which are 3 ways. I am also thinking about Pioneer 4 ways, or the Pioneer REV series, which are 2 ways.

I would run the 4 channels all to the main amp, then get a set of Y splitters to go to the sub amp from the rear channels. If you're able to spend more than $5 to split your signals, then get an equalizer or something that has 3 sets of outputs. Most of the outboard equalizers will run with 1 to 3 pairs of inputs, and output a front/rear/sub set of signals.

I mentioned JL TR series speakers... TL is a car. :) The number of "ways" doesn't really matter as much as the overall sound quality of the speaker. There are so many different car speaker designs it's ridiculous. I've had quite a few different kinds of 3 ways, 4 ways etc- but the higher quality 2 way speakers will totally blow away the cheaper speakers with tons of drivers in them. Trust me. Go listen and compare yourself. The JL TR series speakers will sound WAY better than anything from Pioneer, regardless of how many drivers are sitting in the baskets.

:werd: I would also do the same with the y splitters. Coaxials, triaxials are nice, you don't have to really adjust them, and they weigh less (if you are looking for speed in your car). The component speakers are usually the best, and offer the greatest flexibility with adjustment, but weigh and cost more. They usually come with at least a midrange, tweeter and crossover.
What you want depends on what your looking for with your car, what you are looking to spend and how much you really want to be able to customize it.
I might also mention that some head units offer a feature that cuts the deep bass from the front set of rca outputs and only puts it to the rear, and does just the opposite to the rear set of rca connectors. Some even allow you to change the crossover frequency. Just something else to look into if your head unit has it.

Originally posted by cheese9988@Dec 27 2004, 05:13 PM
I might also mention that some head units offer a feature that cuts the deep bass from the front set of rca outputs and only puts it to the rear, and does just the opposite to the rear set of rca connectors.
[post=437949]Quoted post[/post]​

I hope you mean, cuts the high freq from the rear. keeps some of the bass up front. This is what my deck does.

2 options.

1 use y connectors from the front set or rcas to both inputs on the amp.

2 some amps have an rca out if your 4 channel amp has it run the 2 sets from your headunit to the 4 channel amp and then run 1 set from the output of the 4 channel to the 2 channel. ( this is the best option in my opinion so you can still fade from front to back on your 4 speakers.)

Originally posted by TommyTheCat+Dec 27 2004, 05:17 PM-->
cheese9988
@Dec 27 2004, 05:13 PM
I might also mention that some head units offer a feature that cuts the deep bass from the front set of rca outputs and only puts it to the rear, and does just the opposite to the rear set of rca connectors.
[post=437949]Quoted post[/post]​

I hope you mean, cuts the high freq from the rear. keeps some of the bass up front. This is what my deck does.
[post=437956]Quoted post[/post]​

Ya, thats kinda what I mean, it doesn't cut all the bass from the front, just 90Hz and below for example.

Back