Installing a D16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wisemansoji

The engine is a 94 d16z6 installed into 93 sedan. What should this engine idle at.
The problem we have is when u crank the key, it starts to idle at 600rpm for 5-10 sec then shoots up to 1500rpm and stays there. At 600 rpm the engine is struggling to stay at idle sometimes it stalls b4 it can raise to 1500. I know this isn't suppose to happen, what could be wrong, plus I do not have the vtec wire hooked up. How would I find out where this wire goes.

okey dokey, VTEC wire first.
The VTEC solenoid itself will have one thick black wire coming off of it. Wire this fatty black one, and t-tap it into the ecu pin at A4. The VTEC oil pressure sensor will be a green plug, rounded and near the solenoid, and have two wires coming off of this one. A blue and black wire. The blue wire needs to be t-taped into the pin at D6 on the ecu and the black one into D22 (ground) on the ecu as well.
For ecu pinout chart: http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/info.html#ECUpinout

Do this first and then see if the car is still ideling weird. No check engine lights?
When the engine has a goofy idel like that, the ecu is usually compensating for something. Make sure EVERYTHING is connected up and that you've nabbed every little wire and used it from the old engine. Tells us how it works. Most likely i've found something wasn't pluged up right or more times than likely an emissions hose came off the intake manifold (look for this! happened lots to me)

Back