Installing Legends Brakes on a civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jimboburgess

Go fast, Go Cheap
Installing Disc brakes is a great way to help stopping power, ordering a "Big Brake" kit can cost $1000+.
Why spend that much when you can stop by a junkyard and pick up some basic parts of the civics cousins.
This will work for 92-95 civics, 94-01 integras, and 1902-98 del Sols.
Dual piston calipers and mounting brackets from a 93-95 acura legend which allow for a larger brake pad.
11 in rotors from a 4th gen prelude

Start by removing the caliper bracket from the front knuckles and detach the rubber brake line from the mounting bracket.

remove the stock caliper and disconnect the lines.

Now remove the rotor, by taking out the retaining bolts. Two phillips head screws tighten them on. It can be tough to pull these out so an impact driver may be necessary.

The mounting of the legend need to be machined slightly to fit between the knuckle and the rotor. remove 3-4mm of material from the knuckle side of the bracket. It will fit quite nicely after doing so.

Also the prelude rotors have bolt holes sized at 4X114.3 use the old rotor as a guild to drill hole to 4X100, doing so will most likely mean loosing retaining bolts. But for the time being use a lug nut or tow to hold it on and when a wheel is on the car that will hold it on as well.

Finally reassemble everything. Using a dual piston caliper with larger brake pads with the larger rotors will be a good step towards stopping short.

Be sure to check about fitment behind you particular wheels.

Rewrite from Dru Barrios. "All in the Family" Hondatuning, June 2005. Primedia Speciality group inc. Los Angeles.

Cut and paste from somewhere else? Cite your source....

This same thing is on HYBRID and a few other sites. You might also want to state that it's for the 92-95 Civics. If you're going to copy an article, do it right.

Nope, sorry. It's been linked to zillions of times, and it's not our info. Putting it up as an article would be a bad idea. Now if you did this on your own car and took pictures, that's another story.

Will be doing this conversion on my integra soon. Legend brakes ftw.

If I was to do this front brake swap with Integra (non-abs) rear disc on a 94 Civic DX, what master cylinder and proportioning valve would work the best? I have seen people talk about MC and PV on Integra brakes all around on a Civic but not with this front brake setup.

thief.gif
Thief!

Quoted post[/post]]
If I was to do this front brake swap with Integra (non-abs) rear disc on a 94 Civic DX, what master cylinder and proportioning valve would work the best? I have seen people talk about MC and PV on Integra brakes all around on a Civic but not with this front brake setup.

you could use the 15/16" master cylinder from a 1991 4 door civic EX, these can be ordered from autozone for around $120.
i have also heard of people using the 1" master cylinder from integra type-r's but i don't know if they lines fit up as a bolt in swap.

I don't know if the conversion wil work on the EF, but I've read that the FastBrake 11" rotors for their kits work with the Legend calipers. Those are the rotors I'll be trying, rather than redrilling prelude rotors.

Back