Installing RAM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Well i have a 256 MB SDRAM from my old computer tht i lost the HD on. I want to put it in this new HP that is my GF's. Its a stupid question, but what is the correct way to put it in? should i just put it in while its off, then turn it on and it will read it?

it will only fit one way, there is an offset notch in the memory stick

yeah i know that. but will the comp automatically read it when i turn it back on? how will i know if it is working. the reason i am having the propblem is because before she bought this HP, she had a Gateway and when i put the RAM in it, it wouldn't boot Windows.

good chance to fry your mobo if you dont know what your doing. static electricity > your computer

yeah i know about static electricity. I would be pissed if tht shit happened.

Its so easy to do. Turn the computer off, unplug everything. Touch the frame of the computer (not the motherboard) and then touch something that is grounded (light switch plate) Next, just throw it in the right slot. Make sure it is in all the way. Next, turn everything back on. Go to Start, and rightclick on my computer and click proporties. It should now say just slightly lower then the total amount of ram on the computer.

Just make sure that the ram that your putting in there is the proper type.

leave the power cord plugged into the wall. the outlet makes a good ground. there is no need to unplug anything, so long as its not in your way to get to the case.

be sure its the right kind of ram though. there's at least 10 different kinds made in the past 3 years alone. bus speed, sd, ddr, 168, 181 pin, and so forth.

other than that, theres nothign to do.

plug it in, boot it up. done.

realistically do HP's go to shit often? Cuz i really wanna put this in, but if something gets f'ed up later and the warranty is voided, im gonna be in deep shit. B, you said they suck, so you might know.

Your best bet is to carefully remove the "Don't remove this bitches" sticker and if anything goes to shit, slap that puppy back in the right spot, take out anything you put in after buying it, and take it back to get it fixed fo free.

1. Remove (carefully) warranty sticker.
2. Have fun, put whatever you want in that HP.
3. Replace sticker in same spot.
4. Done.

If something goes wrong:
a. Carefully remove warranty sticker.
b. Take out aftermarket parts.
c. Replace panel and sticker in orderly manner.
d. Get yo shit fixed free.

i don't think a ram upgrade will effect your warranty, so long as it is the same brand/type as OEM

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 15 2004, 10:04 AM
i don't think a ram upgrade will effect your warranty, so long as it is the same brand/type as OEM
[post=432465]Quoted post[/post]​

but on certain store bought comps , or gateway/dell they have them warranty seals , and unless you have things installed by "certified people" your warranty goes down the crapper

Shit i just looked and this POS doesnt even have a sticker. is there any other way they could tell it was opened?

if there is no sticker, i don't think theres a way for them to know.

Plus the stickers don't just come off like that. They destroy themselves while taking it off. You can't do it carefully either.

I would go for it and quit worrying. I open mine all the time to blow out the dust,
besides a hard drive is under $100
a power supply is like $35
etc..
what do you need a warranty for with parts so cheap?

I know anyone on here that can swap an engine can install computer parts.
Just make sure it fits pin-wise and snap it down even.
good luck :)

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Dec 16 2004, 07:02 AM
Plus the stickers don't just come off like that. They destroy themselves while taking it off. You can't do it carefully either.
[post=433045]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: ...ive already tried it.

btw, hp sucks ass. the only thing left from the original hp package i bought is the monitor(messed up; under 1024x768 is too dark), mouse(starting to skip frames now), and in the actual pc only the case, sound card, and cd rom drive remains(opens and closes sponatneously...at first i thought it was haunted :lol: ).

Back