Intake air temp sensor/water temp

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

18bs

I race a 95 Cvic in on a circle track in the midwest. It is a low buck class and we dont do much to the cars,,,,,yet. I have been reading about putting resistors in line with either the intake air temp sensor and/or the coolant temp sensor to fool the computer into adding fuel. Is this worth doing? which one do I do? Both? What ohm resistor do I use? Inline or parallel? What can I do CHEAP? Thanks

you can take out the interior of the car .. thats cheap and weight reduction is effectively "free horsepower"

Originally posted by pills_PMD@May 12 2004, 06:11 AM
you can take out the interior of the car .. thats cheap and weight reduction is effectively "free horsepower"

No shit... I never thought of that. No wonder I had such a fire when I welded the cage in it. Thats not what I asked. What about the glass? The AC is really nice while out on the track. Derrr. No really, thanks for the info.

Wow, don't be a dick. You'll get a lot farther in life, and especially on this site.

I'd be nicer if he were smarter. WTF does the interior have to do with the IAT or the Coolant temp? 18bs

are you allowed ECU mods? if so, that would be the SMART solution. Total cost would be rather minimal... (PGMFI sells chipping kits for $10) You'd alsol need a ROM burner + soldering gear too... Do they count tools for your budgetary constraints?

Originally posted by radnulb@May 12 2004, 10:53 AM
are you allowed ECU mods? if so, that would be the SMART solution. Total cost would be rather minimal... (PGMFI sells chipping kits for $10) You'd alsol need a ROM burner + soldering gear too... Do they count tools for your budgetary constraints?

We dont really have any restraints on what you can do, although we did have a claim rule on the WHOLE car. no one pushes the rule. Tonight we soldered 4 resistors into the IAT sensor. Hooked them up to the A/C fan control swith in the dash that is not beenig used, 1st setting is no resistor, 2nd setting is 2.2 ohms, 3rd setting is 4.7,4th setting is 10, and the last is 22 ohms. I will be able to switch air temps while on the track! I hope it works. 18bs

rather than being a homo and worrying about resistors and the .0001 HP it will give you i thought i'd suggest something more useful.

ass.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@May 12 2004, 08:35 PM
rather than being a homo and worrying about resistors and the .0001 HP it will give you i thought i'd suggest something more useful.

ass.

Once again, thanks for your positive input to my question.

Originally posted by 18bs+May 12 2004, 07:05 PM-->
pills_PMD
@May 12 2004, 08:35 PM

ass.

Once again, thanks for your positive input to my question.

:newbie: if you want help on this board don't be a dick, you obviously know very little about honda's and seemingly cars in general if your trying to adjust fuel in such a janky ass way like this, its true your not gonna get shit from doing this, even some burnt chip would be better, trust. . .

pills knowledge of fuel management is much<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'> > than yours!!! </span>

Finally an opionion whether this works or not, thanks. What is a easy way or cheapest way to get more out of it. Send me in some direction. 18bs

b16crx, I give, you are smarter than me. Isnt a forum the place to ask questions like that? I saw the resistor thing on SEVERAL sites on the net. There must be something to it, just asking. Give me something to work with, please. My Civis has a d16zg. Burnt chip,,,,, where? Who? how much? Sorry about giving soooo much shit in the morning, it was too easy. Post on Intake air temp and get a reply on removing the interior. It felt good too! EVERYTHING has been removed except the seat. 18bs

I already told you what will work - Chipping AND TUNING the ECU.

Rom burner $45-$200 (average: $100) (this is a tool, not an "installed" item)
Wideband O2 $250-500+ (average: $300) (again, tool.)
Couple chips $1-2 each for flash chips
Socket: 25 cents at my local electronics store, less online
74HC373: 50 cents at my local electronics store, less online
Couple caps: pennies each

Having your car tuned well? Priceless.

I saw almost 30WHP PEAK gain on the last NA car I tuned, with HUGE gains in torque throughout the whole powerband. Supposed to get a copy of the before +after dyno charts from the kid sometime... 97 teg w/ JDM ITR + Skunk2 stage1 cams + ferrea valvetrain. Generic Skunk2 garbage program to custom done with 4 hours of street tuning. 29 WHP peak gain, torque curve stable, TONS more usable power. Kid's first words after I made him drive around the block were, "Is this my car? What did you do to it?"

Tuning it right (i.e. chipping it, modding fuel/timing tables with wideband and/or dyno for guidance) will make you real power. Learning a lot about how motors work and how ECUs run motors will give you enough insight to spot obvious glaring issues with the car's tune, but as I tune more and more cars with proper tools, blind chipping seems less and less interesting.

Car ran really GOOD last night. started ed the back of the heat and put a a$$ whoopin on them. Started the feature inside 5th row and ran 2nd, I was realing in 1st place and ran out of laps, he also one last weeks feature and was 2003 points champion. BTW I was 2002 point champ in my Accura. My Civic is back among the living!!! I have a heating problem, while racing my watter temps are OK, as soon as we come off the track and slow down it gets HOT. To the point of chucking water out. Whats up? 18BS

Back