Intake Manifold Gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Grifter

I recently replaced my Intake manifold on my GSR with the Skunk2 manifold. However when I replaced the manifold I used the old gasket, it seemed in pretty good shape at the time. When I went to start my car it seemed to think that 3000RPM was a good point at which to idle.

I took off the old manifold gasket with a razor blade (very fragile, hard and brittle but some of it really wanted to stay on.

Here’s my question. Is there some kind of sealant that I should use on the gasket when I put the new one on. Would putting formagasket paste around the gasket help or hinder the performance of the gasket. I believe my problems before were caused by an air leak with the old gasket. PS I also replaced the gasket on the throttle body

No sealant is necessary. Just make sure the new gasket is in good shape. Flat and not torn. Old gaskets just tend to stick on like that.

BTW... I know this because I watched nfn15037 put on a Skunk2 manifold on his GS-R coupe last weekend. Nice mod! :thumbsup:

You replaced the gasket with an OEM style gasket? I would have went with the Hondata Unit for $50. Anyhow, make sure the old gasket is completely removed.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Nov 18 2004, 01:45 PM
You replaced the gasket with an OEM style gasket? I would have went with the Hondata Unit for $50. Anyhow, make sure the old gasket is completely removed.
[post=418741]Quoted post[/post]​

That’s cool, I just looked it up. I didn’t know there were options, I just bought the OEM replacement. The old gasket is completely removed... took forever but it’s removed.

I really don’t want this gasket to be easy to remove... if anything I want to make absolutely sure that it has the best bond possible.

Originally posted by Grifter@Nov 18 2004, 02:53 PM
I really don’t want this gasket to be easy to remove... if anything I want to make absolutely sure that it has the best bond possible.
[post=418763]Quoted post[/post]​

If you torque the bolts down correctly, there won't be any leaks.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Nov 18 2004, 03:57 PM-->
@Nov 18 2004, 02:53 PM
[post=418763]Quoted post[/post]​

If you torque the bolts down correctly, there won't be any leaks.
[post=418794]Quoted post[/post]​

staring from the middle working my way to the outsides, 17 foot pounds.

is that correct?

I have the Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket.. Cool piece of work that is supposed to work.. I have yet to install my New Intake Manifold (probablly won't) but it says it should work..

Ive got a hondata IM gasket and skunk2 IM, good stuff.

If $50 is too much im pretty sure i remember another company selling knock-offs of the hondata gasket for like $27

Back