Intake Manifold Port & Polish

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

carbon

Looking into Port / Polishing my intake manifold to go with the ported head, did a few searches and came up with a few bits of info. Just wondering if there were any specific how-to's, any info or guides or anyone that can provide pointers.

Im in no rush to do it, and got a couple of spare ones lying around. Always good to learn something new and do something yourself. :)

i saw a DIY on the speed channel on how to do this. basically you just get a rotary tool and shave a few millimeters off the edge then sand it down. you have to cut the gasket too. i wouldn't fuck with it though. you have to know how much to take off and shit.

I agree on not doing it yourself. I would look into an OEM intake that is better then yours (not sure about your set up) or find a reputable shop that you could ship it to (many include return shipping in their price) and let them match it to your ported head specs (do you have them?) IMO a match between head and IM is a great idea and can help with maximizing the flow but it is something done after other things. Your bottom end built? If not, think about that first, otherwise you wont see any real gains from putting a lot of money in top end mods with a stock bottom end. If so, do the port on the IM and get it tuned (With a modified ECU in some way....chipped, re-programed, etc) by someone who knows Hondas and you'll maximize your spending on the drivetrain

Get a skunk 2 and be done with it.

Either that or find a shop that has the machine that circulates abrasive paste through it. I forget the name of the machine, and they are hard to find.

Be warned that either way, without extensive work eleswhere (intake, throttle body, cams, head, exhaust) you won't see any gain.

For just port matching an intake, you really dont need to pay a shop. Just do it right and youll see the same minimal gains of a port matched manifold when you do it yourself as when a shop does it. The intake runners in the head are a different story though.

Back