INTAKE MANIFOLD question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rex187

i just bought a d16y8 about a week ago. i have been looking in to the obd1 to obd2 conversion but now I'm wondering if i can just swap the intake manifold from the d16y8 to the d15b7 intake manifold? in doing that wouldn't that be converting the y8 to an obd1 motor(if that is possible)? and wouldn't i be able to use the obd1 P28 ecu then instead of the obd2 P2P?

It could work, but you would still have to do something about the distributor and the alternator as they have different plugs between OBD1-OBD2. Besides the Y8 manifold is better than the B7 one.

i know the y8 manifold is better but im just looking for a way to avoid converting to obd-2. i have already got the distributor wired and repining the alternator wont be that hard. besides can't i use the the an alternator from the z6 instead of having to even mess with the wires?

Ok, lets get everything organized so we know what the hell is going on.

You have a OBD-1 Civic, that had a d16b7 non v-tec. You found yourself a super sweet d16Y8 v-tec. You don't want to convert to an obd-2 harness.

You can put your injectors, and everything from the b7 manifold into the y8 manifold. As far as I know everything should work. You can even use the b7 or z6 alternator on the y8 block and drop that bad boy into your car.

As for the ecu, if your car doesn't come with v-tec then you can plug in a P28, and run the wires from your ecu to your v-tec solenoid and the other oil pressure switch near the solenoid.

i stupidly already bought a P2P and obd-1 to obd-2a conversion harness(if it the harness ever gets here). my main reason for asking this was just to see if its possible. but what about the fast idle thermostat thing on the y8? how and what should i do about it? just swap the throttle . i plan to swap my injectors and alt already.

Back