Integra Type R Swap + Induction

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Pewble

Im looking to buy an integra type R motor for my 1995 Civic DX coupe. (2 door)... i also am thinking about forced induction ... wouldnt it be better to use a USDM Integra Type R motor for a turbo/supercharger due to its lower compression or is japanese VTEC a lot stronger in the same motor? something tells me i want the JDM one. I also have heard that adding dual valve springs allows a type r motor to rev to 10K without issues. is that true? thanks.

USDM = 10.6:1
JDM = 11.1:1

its not that much of a difference
pushing more than 5-6 psi in there is going to be tough ($$$$$$ lots of tuning $$$$$$)

sure you can get springs that will allow it to rev to 10K or higher
but whats the point
without some serious cams you wont be making power anywhere near there
most cams that will make power up in the 10K+ range are terrible for boost
not to mention reving to 10K on a boosted high compression engine is like asking it to blow up

hmmm so i should pick either N/A tune or boost?? is the motor really THAT great without doing anything to it...? i wanna be able to spank some serious cars in my little civic. You think putting a JR Supercharger on that motor would be hard? how many PSI can the motor take ?... up to 8 stock? If so, is the JR Boost upgrade a bad decision.. its puts the supercharger at 8 instead of 6. I would need tuning for just a supercharger?? i know a lot of people who know others.. people who own tuning shops in this area. this will help me on the $$$ part.
theres also a place near that can run a dyno and tune an ECU, ETC when i actually have the parts.

Originally posted by Pewble@May 7 2003, 02:09 PM
hmmm so i should pick either N/A tune or boost?? is the motor really THAT great without doing anything to it...? i wanna be able to spank some serious cars in my little civic.

yes pick one NA and FI are compleatly different build processes

yes the engine is quite nice (i love mine) and there is still plenty that you can do to it

spank some serious cars??? like what??? what times do you want to run??? shit you can have a bootsed LS running 12's pretty inexpensively

ok. i think i choose FI. SUPERcharger baby! maybe a turbo though... since i know people who can sell and set up a turbo for around 1000 dollars... total. so 5-6 PSI sounds good for me still gonna rip right?

superchargers suck
they dont give you nearly the HP/$ that you get from a turbo
i still think your making a big mistake by boosting an ITR engine
oh well

Back