intercoolers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Def_Jam

VIP
i know this might be a dumb question but I have to ask it.

which intercooler is better?

The air-to-air or the liquid-to-air?

Or if the have different uses what are they?

hi vote for me :wub:

air/water IC's are generally more efficient, more complicated, more parts, and generally more weight.

the general opinion is that air/water are best suited for drag applications, where as air/air are better suited for street applications. However, each will do either ok.

generally, an air-air FMIC or SMIC is fine
the only car i've seen that really does better with a air-water system are MR2s

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 16 2004, 06:56 AM
hi vote for me :wub:

air/water IC's are generally more efficient, more complicated, more parts, and generally more weight.

the general opinion is that air/water are best suited for drag applications, where as air/air are better suited for street applications. However, each will do either ok.

Wrong on air/ water ICs being more efficient. Since the heat has to be transferred to two mediums (from charge air to water, and from water to air in the exchanger), they're not. Also, the water will never be as cool as the ambient air temperature. The only way a W/A IC can be more efficient than a properly designed and sized A/A IC is if you use ice in the resivoir. This is fine for dragging, but on the street, it's highly impractical.

Back