Intercrew's Ruckus TRIKE! - Video added

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

silly question... i know its not the point... but... hows the turning with that thing??
no lean im assuming??
pretty stable??
how bout turns at speed??

also id imagine that cornering with those big ass wheels has got to put a lot of stress on the front of that scooter

No lean- yet. This afternoon I drew out a new steering linkage design along with a new suspension setup- so basically a whole new front end- that will put the shocks inboard, lower the CG a bit, and make the trike lean into turns like the Piaggo MP3. I wish I knew what the MP3's steering linkage looked like so I could copy it, but then I'd probably have to put some kind of power steering setup in place.... which would suck.

Pretty stable.

You still want to slow down for turns, but you ride it like an ATV and lean into the turn. When I was shooting between buildings at work yesterday I was practically leaning off the trike in high speed turns. If I had gear on I would've tried to drag a knee. :lol:

Stress isn't a problem. The whole front end is made up of 1/8" thick square tubing, and the original scooter frame basically sits on top of the new frame. Tons of strength. There were people totally 500-600 pounds of load riding it around at a drift event this weekend with no issues.

Oh yeah, the trike does drift too. I'll have to see if I can get that on video sometime.

:D

im sure ill be in TX at some point... might have to take you up on that :)

Calesta, I know you don't like PM tech questions, and I figure this is the most related place I could post this...you have no idea how hard it is to find tech questions on building a reverse trike ;-)

I built this...
PB060760.jpg

2008 Honda CRF230L with a 400ex front end, 700xx sway bar, Houser 450R +6" A-arms, TW200 rear rim spoked to CRF hub, TRX450R shocks, extended swingarm and much more.

I built mine to drive in winter (I live in Northern Canada) as I get PMS for 6 month of the year (parked motorbike syndrome ;)). I've got a 145/80R14 bridgestone winterforce tire on the way from the UK for the rear, so ignore the current tire. There is only room for a 145 tire in the back but there is PHYSICALLY no 145 wide tires for 14" rim that I could find in North America. Plus this is uni-directional and a winter tire :)

Anyway, long story, but the issue I'm having is stability. Its VERY twitchy at anything over 30mph. I've installed a 700xx sway bar to the front that helps a little, but its VERY sensitive to the smallest steering input. I think the shocks may be to soft and causing the problem.

Any tips on this? I wonder how yours is so stable?

Thanks kindly!

Back