internet speed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

i was reading around about how cable companies put caps on their modems. well i have my own modem(its actually the same model as what the cable company uses; a motorola sb5100). would it be illegal to uncap my own modem, or is the modem even capped since it was bought at a store?

also, ive noticed that after a complete windows reinstall(sp1) the average speeds i get are much higher; around 700-1000kb/s; and have peaked to 2500kb/s. after a few weeks(installing more programs, etc.), it slows down. now my speeds are around 350kb/s down, 47kb/s up. you guys think its just software or computer speed thats controlling the connection speed?

from what I understand, uncapping DOCSIS modems these days are a moot endeavor. can't remember why tho. And i'm pretty sure they will catch you unless your an uber haX0r, which it doesn't sound like you are.

windows will always slow down after you install more stuff. its the nature of its flawed OS. XP seems to level off after awhile once you piled so much crap into it. Unlike 95, 98, ME which would just get worse and worse until you couldn't take it anymore. one thing that people seem to overlook for 'net speeds is their NIC cards. onboards tend to stay more steady because the memory is allocated prior to full startup, wheras a PCI will be faster but occasionally bog once you start initiating memory intensive applications while connected. this all varies depending on your setup but is what I've found most common

:withstupid:

It's nearly impossibl;e, you need to spoof a tftp server to download a modified config script which oyu need to write and provide, there a bunch of other things you need to be able to do I can't remember them all.

and I'll have to addd I'm using winxp pro w/ sp1, with 2 3com 3c980's both connected to a router, I've also noticed ram helps out a lot, as I have 2GB of ram. and I consistantly see d/l of 3Mb/s

i understand how to uncap it, just dont know whether its legal or not. sounds like its not some im not going to do it. i might invest in some extra ram then, i have 640mb right now.
how do other OS's fare? particulay Linux red-hat or something to that nature?

if they limit your bandwith it wont matter.

ive dl'd at up to 3.2 mbs/sec but after about an hour of it i lose my connection for 15 or so minutes then it turns back on.

or sometimes if i have 4 or 5 things dl'ng at 350kb/sec it will do the same after lengthy periods of time.

so sure if you uncap it you might dl alot faster, but they may still regulate your bandwith :p

Back