internet woes, need help fast

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
I have two computers in my house, one being a desktop (2.20 ghz p4) and the other is a laptop (3.1ghz p4 w/HT) and for some reason my internet works on my wireless connection to my laptop but it i will not get internet on my desktop. I tried ipconfig and nothing really happened. I also pinged 127.0.0.1 and 0% loss :) but when i pinged my ip address on my laptop i got 0 out of 5 with a 100% loss :cry: any hints on what to do?

edit - both os are windows xp pro corporate with sp1.

lol

I also pinged 127.0.0.1 and 0% loss smile.gif but when i pinged my ip address on my laptop i got 0 out of 5 with a 100% loss sad.gif any hints on what to do?

of course, pining yourself hopefully will never fail. lol

what you need to do is to ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever your router IP is.

do you have a wireless pci card in your desktop???
most lap tops have it built in, but not many tower's do.

i know i was pinging myself... lol but i was stating that i got packets but when i pinged my ip address i got a 100% loss. And when i pinged my ip from the router i received a 100% loss. I have no clue why it would do this. And no my desktop doesnt have a wireless card. How can my internet work on my laptop and my desktop which is directly connected not work? :cry:

Is the network cable plugged in? lol

Seriously though, you've got no connectivity. Check to see if your nic is installed correctly.

yeah i am plugged in. I am connected at 100mbps and i have sent 66 packets and received 23 but it hasnt moved in 3 hours... my laptop is at ~15k sent and ~19k received in 3 hours.

walk through the XP "set up a home network" link in the my netowrk places group.
sounds like you're mis-cionfigg'ed.

when you run ipconfig, if you odn't see anything, run
ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig/renew

if you still don't get an ip:
- your cable is faulty
- your card is faulty
- the jack on the router is faulty
- user error
- the internet is t3h broke
- oh noooes, ur meghutzs have been stol3d!

is it possible that your router isn't configured for DHCP?

router works fine... it worked right before i installed xp pro. But as soon as i installed it i no longer can use the internet on the desktop.

edit - ipconfig, release, and renew all show my ip addy, subnet mask and default gateway.

for shits and giggles, try moving the card to another slot.

can you open the router config screen from your desktop?

you recently installed xp?...

Try loading the NIC card drivers from the manufacturers website. The router is obviously setup for DHCP if he can use a laptop wirelessly..

DO YOU HAVE LINK LIGHTS? Make sure you have these on both the router and nic card

Back