Is a b18b1/b18a1 an interference engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92civicb18b1

The Trisexual
Is it?

If you don't know what I mean I'll try to explain, in an interference engine the pistons will actually come up over the actual surface of the block, which could result in pistons hitting valves. Best way I can explain it and if I said it wrong someone please intervene.

Anyway, my point is if the timing belt broke in a b18b1/a1 would the pistons hit the valves and would there be any damage besides having to replace the belt.

regardless of the piston to deck height, it the belt snaps, the cams can turn when every they want, and could be due down and the due top of the compression stroke.

breaking a tbelt will hurt a lot of things... regardless of the piston to deck ehight

the cams can turn when every they want

Why would this make a difference? If belt broke it would only continue to turn for the next couple of seconds or a few more rotations. Correct?
Also, isn't there pressure on them besides the belt preventing them from just spinning freely?

Now, let's say some shit got fucked up, it would mechanically only affect the valve train, correct? Which parts would be effected the most severly and most commonly?

if stuff got messed up it could be nassssty.. valves smashin into the top of the pisons... making u to almost rebuild the vavletrain and pistons.. although i seen some b18's that my buddys have snap a belt and they were cruzin on the road and they were lucky and never smashed ne thing. they jsut thew on a new belt and timed it and she started right up.. good luck man

when i got my integra it had a broken timing belt and 192K miles on it. oh and a woman drove the living shit out of it. I replaced the timing belt adn water pump and hte car ran fun until the rings gave out at around 212K miles...

Thats what i was thinking but wasn't sure about it. So commonly nothing will be wrong, pump and belt and I'll be good?

I'm concerned because the 944 was an interference engine and everyone with them is so cautious. Not to mention is was a $500 job just to replace it, if it broke it was like $80 a valve and it was so common that if the belt broke your going to be rebuilding the head on those things.

I don't mind a little extra work, but do you really think I'm going to have to replace pistons and valves.

I'm going to do some headwork anyway but I don't understand, I need to learn a little more.

How will the pistons and valves make contact in a non-interference engine? Or am I just retarded and completely missing something.

What are the usual symptoms of a broken t-belt in a b18b1/a1.

Sorry if you have to repeat yourself, I'm getting confused.

How will the pistons and valves make contact in a non-interference engine?

valve float.

1. car won't start.
2. timing belt is broken

here is how you tell do a clt test ad se what the leakage is like and see where it is coming from and this will tel you what needs to be done

What does clt stand for?

The engine wasn't beaten on, just the timing belt wasn't taken into account during routine maintanence.

Doesn't vavle float only occur when you over-rev the engine?

I maybe worded it wrong, not the symptoms like that, what are the after effects before or after replacement?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Sep 19 2004, 11:22 AM
I don't mind a little extra work, but do you really think I'm going to have to replace pistons and valves.

Sorry if you have to repeat yourself, I'm getting confused.
[post=392167]Quoted post[/post]​

How about you tell us exactly what happened and what your symptoms are?

I'm never experienced a broken timing belt firsthand *knocks on wood* but I was told by my regular Honda mechanics that should it happen, shut off the car immediately. Do not try to restart it. With an auto tranny car, they told me that it was a 100% sure thing that the valves would be bent. With a manual tranny car, it would be a 50/50 chance of bent valves.... so long as the engine was shut down immediately.

Have you taken the timing belt cover off yet to inspect the belt? I also realize that you are hoping for a good prognosis for your valves in this thread... so good luck with it.

It was driving down the road, it snapped, I think it was tried to be restarted. I wasn't the one who broke the belt, haven't looked either. So if it was attempted to be restarted there's a good chance of bent valves?

Trying to restart it was not a good move. Especially if what I think would happen is that all those parts inside your engine would try to move and make things worse... try to find a used head instead. Isn't there one in the for sale section for $150 obo? Try some junkyards too. Or just do the timing belt and be ready to do the job again with a different head. Don't forget to replace your water pump at the same time.

Yea, it wasn't me who was driving it but that's ok. I can deal with around $200 of work.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 19 2004, 04:23 PM
[post=392167]Quoted post[/post]​
With an auto tranny car, they told me that it was a 100% sure thing that the valves would be bent.
[post=392240]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, that's not true. My integra started out as an Auto, I bought it as an auto with a broken timing belt and crapped water pump. Replaced those and it's fine.

Back