is it worth it

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigT91

im about to buy a 91 prelude si and i cant really find info on it. it doesnt run currently due to a major faliure in the oil pan (hole) or possibly oil pump failure.
i want to swap it for the h22vtec but not for sure if will be woth it. mabey some hints on another swap. i have plans for a 13-12 sec ride but i want to see if im wasting my cash!

There aren't really a lot of easy swap options for the 88-91 Preludes like there are with the Civics/Integras. You can do a stock replacement (B20 or B21, whatever you have), you can drop a JDM B20 Prelude motor (if you can find one), or you can drop a H/F-series engine with after-market mounts...

the car is $200 the body is in perfect condition as well as the interior but the motor is poss. blown? i havent put it on the lift yet.

yup yup. well i planned on putting the h22 or the jdm h23 in it but i dont know yet what should i get for a decent price and the most power

Swap options with those cars are somewhat limited. You can do the B20/B21 that come stock, a JDM version of that motor (which is rare and hard to find), or an H/F-series. An H22 is probably the best choice, but also the most expensive and complicated. You'll need an after-market mount kit. Search through the Prelude forums for a guy with the screen-name "1funryd" or something similar. He's an expert on the H-series swap for these cars and he can tell you where to get the mounts as well...

cool beans ill try to check him out. if hes a pro like you say then i guess hel have my answer. thnx

As stated above the only engines that bolt up to the 88-91 ludes are:
B20a5, B20A-JDM, B21a1, B21A(rare)

Aftermarket swaps are: H22, H23, F20B, F22B with the H22 swap kit.

I have invested a lot of time and effort into getting all the information and some parts to make this swap as easy as possible.

Performace Upgrades for 88-91 Preludes

H22 Parts list

Read those links and email me at: onefunrydperformance@q.com

I am a owner of the 3rd gen lude and that is why I decided to invest into my part time business to get aftermarket parts made for this chassis.

I am still trying to get the B series motor mounts swap kit made, but it is slow now, but I will keep at it.

To do a simple cost analysis for doing this swap vs keeping with the B20a family take a look:

H22 swap = $3500 - $4500 = 200hp 161tq
B20A(JDM) = $900 - $1500 = 140hp 131tq

I can tell you from personal experience, the H22 swap is the best power upgrade and more reliable due to parts are everywhere for this motor and tranny. Plus the power potential is greater.
The B20A is just an reliable motor swap but it is good for boost. And the cost to boost that motor is: $1500 -$3500

Sean

Last edited:
$200 is certainly worth it. Drop a stock motor in it for $800-$1000 and have a nice, clean honda for $1200. Can't beat that.

Back