Is lighter better also 6 puck clutch???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was using a ACT street lite 11lb flywheel in my old Turbo ZC. I loved the way it rev.ed and was going to go with the same thing. Well I blew the ZC up and now I have a b16. I was going to get the same thing until my friend put the same flywheel in his B16 and it doesn't rev. as fast as my old ZC did even with out the turbo. I was going to go with a ACT pro lite 8lb or Fidenza 8lb flywheel but I know there are some draw backs with going with a lighter then 11lb flywheel like Hp or torque loss and high end I believe. Someone help me decided and shed light on your own experences and what I shoulg go with either a 11lb like before or a 8lb. Also I was going to siwtch from my old ACT solid disc. to a 6puck now anyone here using a 6 or 4 puck on their street car. Thanks.

I was talking to a guy online from clutchcityonline.com about ACT 4-puck and 6-puck clutchs, but recomends those only for the track because it is going to be very hard on the transmission.

i am currently using an ACT 8.8 lb flywheel and 6-puck clutch in my daily driver semi-built b16... i like it alot. it took a little while to get used to... the 6 puck grabs VERRY good. it is almost impossible to ride the clutch when using a 6-puck because of how good it grabs. not riding the clutch = more clutch life. and my tranny shifts and works fine with this setup.

You see more clutch life, but it tears up your flywheel quickly. Unless you are pushing some serious power (hint running NA won't do it) you don't need this. There are better places to spend your money. Just go with a beefy organic or a Kevlar clutch and make sure it has a sprung hub.

Yes I know it's gonna be hard on a flywheel because it's metal on metal basicly. I've tried tons of different clutchs all were regular type clutchs ( i.e. not 6 or 4 puck ) I've tried Clutchmasters , Centerforce ( GARBAGE ) , and ACT and I liked my ACT ALOT when it was new but the more I drove and more I raced it just didn't grab hard enough for me and I know this is alot more unlikely to happen with a puck SPRUNG hub. Also I relized after the post that ACT's are solid disc which I would never get. I'm looking at a company called SPEC clutchs... Nippon Power sells them I'm thinking about getting their 6 puck SPRUNG Hub clutch kit. I know it's not always necessary but it's alot about a personal preference and what the driver wants. Now a 4 or 3 puck that can hold up to 600 HP on a stock B16 I agree is not practical but a 6 puck that can hold up to 300HP thats is exactly the same price as the regular type upgrade clutch is just fine to me. I've always wanted to try a puck clutch and it lookslike thats what I'll be getting since I've tried regular type ones before. If I don't like it I'll just switch to something else. Ya it'll cost more money but the fast people didn't become fast by being cheap. It's all about trying new things. Same thing with my old Turbo ZCmotor. I tuned and mess with ZC's for 3 years.... turboed mine.... blew it up... learned from my mistakes... and now I've switched to B series. Hey by the way what Clutch set-up are you using with the 6 puck. Who makes it ? Thanks all.

Back