Is "Love" real or a way to boost the Economy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

beau_safken

This thread isn't a feel sorry I got dumped thing but an idea I was thinking about while buttoning up some accounting homework. This thought was just simply a thought for my senior paper in my market analysis class.

Seriously, the divorce rate is simply massive now a day given that people for the most part either didnt marry for the right issues or simply got bored. This statistic of what...40% is astounding. Either way the point is that people go into these marriages with not love on the mind but what?, "Settling down and making some babies." From the research we did just walking around campus asking people why they would get married and what they would do, this was a common answer.

Single people rent apartments opposed to buying homes like married people do. There are specific needs for both of these products in the markets and our society provides the perfect training to sustain this view. Also, for singles to get married, most go to bars, nightclubs, resturants, and the like. The entire singles market revolves around attaining a mate or just having sex.

Now that the single market products have fulfilled their purpose and two people get married, the next set of businesses can take over. Upgrading from the apartment to a house for one, decorating, weddings, honeymoons, home improvements, etc... These various products are all ways to divert case to other market segments.

Just think for a sec, if there is an average of 40% of married couples divorcing because of whatever happens. Economically there would be a continous shift in market segments each year due to our "love" for each other. If an average person gets married 3 times in a life time, there would be 3 seperate shifts from segment to segment with increasing amounts of money each time.

I dont know if this makes sense or not, but having looked at the numbers that myself and a couple guys gathered it kind of changes your outlook. The strangest part is that we all previous to our project of defining market segments didnt see it. Does "Love" only help sustain all aspects of our economy or is the divorce rate increasing the reason for our increasing market value in certain areas? What do you guys and gals think? Just throwing this idea out there so I dont need anymore than the one I got.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 23 2003, 01:15 AM
divorce rate is more like 50%

and its not because of finance...

it's because people change.

Its partially because people try to change each other and when they find out they aren't going to change, they say fuck it and leave. Or, you just find an annoying habit you don't like and picky people will actually go that far to rid themselves of that annoyance.

Both arguments have valid points. The "love" industry is a multi billion dollar scam, from courting to divorcing. Whether or not you choose to play into it, is your call.

"You love her | And she loves him | and he loves somebody else | you know you just can't win | I've been through the blues, the red and the pinks | All I can say is | Love stinks"

Children are an even more insulting market. But by regarding the "bumper crop" of concept markets, is like saying that Johnson and Johnson is making millions off the suffering of the people. It's just not so.

-> Steve

Back