Is this a good price?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4DRB16A

I called a shop in Kansas City, MO (NU Image) and was getting a price on the DC 4-2-1 Header and Thermal Cat-Back exhaust for my 91 4 Door Civic.

He quoted me $350 to install the header and $600 for the exhaust system installed. With a grand total of $950, does this sound like a good deal?

950 for dc header and thermal cat back INSTALLED?

go buy yourself a can of wd-40, and a 50 dollar socket set, with a 20 dollar jack and do it yourself...

i think either way you;re getting your ass reemed...

does it need to be cut welded anywhere?

I paid $60 to get my 4-1 header installed and the 02 sensor lengthened. And that was with 2 hours of labor and moving the radiator.

A new catback exhaust shouldn't cost more than $30 to have installed if the hangers are already included.

that sounds right to me if that is the "installed" price. it cost me about $60 to have my dc sports header and cat-back installed. i spent around $950 for everything installed. that was back when i didn't have the resources to do it myself, otherwise i would have done it. if you can do it, i'd put it on yourself. it's just more fun.

definetly do it your self...i paid 180 for 2.5" custom piping done. cat back. he cut bent and welded it all up for that...i would of done it myself if i had the equiptment but if your gonna buy aftermarket stuff that bolts up do it yourself and shop on the net for deals any local dealer will probably charge more for the items

If anything, put everything on the best you can, and go ahead and rock that shit to your nearest muffler shop. I did that on my catback, it was loud as all getout getting there, but since most of the work was done, it was very minimal costs to get everything where it should be. Also FYI, most muffler shops quoted be $40-70 to put on a bolt-up exhaust, and I paid $75 to have my header put on.

diy - live and learn or else you arnt doing any thing

Originally posted by wanderinman@Apr 27 2005, 02:39 PM
If anything, put everything on the best you can, and go ahead and rock that shit to your nearest muffler shop. I did that on my catback, it was loud as all getout getting there, but since most of the work was done, it was very minimal costs to get everything where it should be. Also FYI, most muffler shops quoted be $40-70 to put on a bolt-up exhaust, and I paid $75 to have my header put on.
[post=492099]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Keep in mind that when the majority of companies say "bolt on", there is still some welding involved. My Magnaflow was susposed to be "bolt on" but when I took it out of the box I was like "get me a metal saw and a torch please".

Try to get into the habit of "prepping" your car before you bring it in. When I did my swap, I pulled the stock engine, swapped in the SiR, then towed it to my mechanic for wiring. Cut labor considerably.

Yeah I did some searching and found the Thermal Exhaust kit custom made with mandrel bent pipes for about $500:

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/B104-C109

I found this header I am thinking about getting it:

http://www.morepowerracing.com/product.asp...For=&PT_ID=3581

I was going to install the header myself and drive it to a muffler shop and have them install my exhaust. It is going to be ALOT cheaper this way. I cant stand people that try to scam every little penny out of you.

$600 for the exhaust installed??!!! That guy must of been smoking crack!

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I like posting here cause I know I will get positive results! Rock on!

Try to get into the habit of "prepping" your car before you bring it in. When I did my swap, I pulled the stock engine, swapped in the SiR, then towed it to my mechanic for wiring. Cut labor considerably.

lol, you should have just finished it off youself :)

and to the thread starter...
if you have a B16 in your civic there is a pretty good chance that this will not be a complete bolt on process... it all depends on what you get...

i got lucky with my integra... 95 ls, h22 header bolted to a stock gsr cat and catback...

you should also check on ebay, a lot of companies offer low prices and use ebay for advertising... check into it...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 27 2005, 03:42 PM

lol, you should have just finished it off youself :)

[post=492125]Quoted post[/post]​

Ya I know, but I'm an idiot with wiring :p

diy y keep other people in biz. learn how and charge your friends when they need it. keep it the fam

this is totally a DIY job, theres no reason to be paying someone to put that on when a competent person can do it himself, honestly, the exaust and hearders are alot easyer than most things on a car. its just knowing what to do. if your unsure, get a helms manual, its very helpful to plan your attach before you get to unbolting and installing anything. i could of done that for you for luch or something.

5.99 lunch vs. $950 in labor
no contest really.

learn and go

Even doing it yourself you may run into a problem or two beyond what you can handle. My "bolt-on" exhaust was 2" too short, so they had to cut and weld in a small piece of pipe... I dont have anything at my house to handle that.

your "cat-Back" was too short??? thats odd, never had a "cat-back" too short. but then again i don't get crappy brands.

Back