Is this possible

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

need help

I have a 1996 gsr with a skunk2 manifold, d.c. sports header, type r tranny, aem cam gears, aem cold air intake, a vafc controller, and thermal exhaust 2.25. I was wonder if I put ctr cams and pistons in my gsr with the mods I already have will I or can the car make 200 hp on the mustang dyno or do I need more mods? I 'm new so thats why I'm asking so sorry if this question has been asked before.

i think that the cams/pistons wont get you 200 hp to the wheels ( youll be close) ...you also have to buy dual springs for the extra rpm.......but you should get larger injectors and use the vafc to tune or a stand alone....

on the other hand at the dyno you might be able to get it over 200.....perfectly tuned ....also look into a P&P that will def get 200whp...i think

If I just do a P&P with dual springs and ctr cams could I make 200whp or no not enough? Or do I need to just buy some good cams like jun or buddy club? I really did not want to touch the bottom end. Right now I make 184whp with the little mods I have, so 16hp more will be hard to get huh. So what about If I take your ideal and get a P&P with bigger injectors and a good set of cams then could I make it?

16 hp should be doable with some cams and a P&P, P&P should be good for at least 8-9 hp, i dunno much about the cams though.

the inj atleast 370cc...if you are going to P&P then take the block and bore it .25(will save labor) and use the CTR pistons/cams...you will be right around 200whp....good luck

you still have a ways to go.
if i 'm not mistaken in stock trim the B18C1 makes about 150-155hp at the wheels. all those bolt-ons should get you about another 10-15hp. the cams and pistons should get you about another 15hp.
that'll put you at about 185 whp.

if you get some more aggresive cams it may bump the power up some more but you may run into some clearance issues if you run the CTR pistons.
just remember to upgrade your valvetrain if you go with bigger/better cams.

185whp is in the 200hp range....if you get a lighter flywheel, and maybe a CTR crank pulley(no a/c,pw steering) you might be able to sqeez out a little more power and with a larger throttle body and a good tune (adj cam gears) you'll more than likely reach your goal........this is a good chunk of $$$...look into a turbo setup more power less $$$...in the long run...the gsr cams are perfect for FI

You will need to redo your valve train i.e. dual valve springs and titanium retainers. I think those 370cc injectors will do the trick. I would run some Crower cams and CTR pistons get it tuned and a P&P couldn't hurt. If you are not at 200whp then you will be really close.

he's looking for 200hp on the dyno which most people would say means 200whp.

185whp is not 200whp.

and a lighter crank pulley and flywheel are not going to make 15hp at the wheels. you have to be realistic with this stuff.
tuning will not net you 15hp at the wheels on a N/A setup, especially when you have a pretty mild setup.
on a FI setup it's possible. you tune the fuel, timing and you adjust the boost accordingly.

on a side note...a Mustang Dyno shows higher number than other dynos.

Back