it fried my icm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Type-T

i just did an h22a swap into a 92' accord coupe..

the accord f22 brings an external coil...h22a is internal....what do i need to wire....i've seen people mention the external internal coil subject but the responses i see are very inconsistent....everyone has a different answer.

i read from two people that your are supposed to cut two of the three wires on the original external coil plug from the accord harness and splice them together...and leave the third wire alone..dont plug it anywhere......well i did that and my car was running fine for about 30 minutes and all the sudden it sounded like it was choking...it kept on studdering until it died and would not turn on anymore. i took a shit and thought my timing was off...i tested the distributor by unplugging #1 spark plug wire and i got no spark #2 no spark (off course i had someone cranking the car.

i took the distributor apart and checked the icm..and i got a short on the # 3 wire....[/B]i think it fried my icm! wtf is this...does this have to do with the splicing of the external coil wires?.....oh yeah if its wrong to wire it like that please tell me if im required to rewire anything on the distributor if im using the f22a wiring.

one more thing...what is the correct way to wire the vtec...am i supposed to ground the black wire or does it go to the ecu?

There are pictures in my sig to give a simple demo how to wire your distributor. I think you misunderstood the directions.

You ground the black wire. I grounded mine to the engine.

ok...i join the yellow wire from the external coil plug to the blue wire on the distributor plug right..and then ground the black wire and leave the thrird wire alone...correct?

Originally posted by Type-T@Aug 29 2004, 10:10 PM
ok...i join the yellow wire from the external coil plug to the blue wire on the distributor plug right..and then ground the black wire and leave the thrird wire alone...correct?
[post=383471]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll try to take some pictures later.

Originally posted by tab+Sep 1 2004, 07:24 PM-->
@Aug 29 2004, 10:10 PM

[post=384933]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks alot for your help...this really helped me out....ok the car turned on and it sounds like shit...first it turned on fine and when it warmed up it was not accelerating smoothly..it sounds like a go-cart..wtf is this?

Originally posted by Type-T+Sep 3 2004, 03:25 PM-->
Originally posted by tab@Sep 1 2004, 07:24 PM
Type-T
@Aug 29 2004, 10:10 PM

[post=384933]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks alot for your help...this really helped me out....ok the car turned on and it sounds like shit...first it turned on fine and when it warmed up it was not accelerating smoothly..it sounds like a go-cart..wtf is this?
[post=385799]Quoted post[/post]​

Could be anything. Check for codes.

Double check your firing order, and try blocking off the EGR when the problem starts. A faulty EGR may not kick a code, and can seriously fuck up how the engine runs when warm. My buddy's Accord ran fine until warm, then it would die at stop signs and anytime just above idle. The valve was fine, but the rail was all clogged below it. That's why there was no code.

Back