Iternal/External Wastegate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Del Slw

which one is better? or is each one better for different applications?
i'm lookin at runnin a t3/t4 on only 7-10lbs.
whats the benefits and negatives of each style?

-Robbie

well, the internal one is part of the turbocharger itself. The external one is higher quality and better for higher boost apps.

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Feb 16 2004, 07:52 AM
well, the internal one is part of the turbocharger itself. The external one is higher quality and better for higher boost apps.

You're only half right. The point you make about an external gate being higher quality is not fact, but rather your OPINION. Keep your opinions out of your responses unless you label them as such.

There is no proof that internal wastegates are of any less quality than an external gate.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 16 2004, 08:53 AM
you'll be hard pressed to find a t3/t4 with an internal gate...

Whats the definition of an internal gate?

This is my T3/T4, isn't this round canister a waste gate?

s4031389929822.jpg

IMO internal is just as good as external, i mean, internal came with the turbo, it was made to regulate boost... so that is what it is gonna do... unless you start running HIGH boost applications where boost creep is going to be your worst enemy, then worry about it... and like B said, most t3/t4s dont even have internal...

yeah I don't really see how an external wastegate can be higher quality than an internal that was built in the turbo to begin with. I do however like external wastegates better though. :D

by design, internals are better.
but, they are limited in the power handeling capabilities.

james, thats an internal gates turbo.

if you have an external wastegate....i've seen that almost everyone just has dump tube. is there any disadvantages to routing it back into the exhaust piping?

it disrupts flow of the exhaust, and its expensive to get a downpipe made like that.

if you do go back in, do it as CLOSE to in front of the cat as you can.. the further back, the better.

External wastegates are better for high performance applications (300+ HP) because they control boost more accurately at high flow/ PSI levels. This is at least the 2nd time I've said this in the past two weeks. PAY ATTENTION, PEOPLE!

Routing a dump tube... if you can get away with it, run it all the way back to the back of the car. Venting it anywhere in front of the B pillar is absofuckinglutly retarded for several reasons- 1) highly illegal, 2) highly deadly, 3) highly loud which brings us back to #1, and 4) half assed. If you're going to join it with the downpipe, make sure that the junction is at least 18" downstream of the turbine wheel.

Back