ITR or CTR Pistons?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iquark

Well, I've pretty much decided to go the less expensive... (read cheap) route with an all motor build on my Civic. I've got what's in my sig, basically a JDM GSR with a B16A2 head, and am looking at a set of 01 spec ITR cams (the same as CTR). What I want to know is if the compression jump from the CTR pistons would be too much, and if I should just go with me JDM ITR pistons for streetability. With the JDM ITR pistons, the c-speedracing calculator says that it is 11.4:1, with the CTR's it says just about 12.1:1. So what really is my best route to go. Also any other suggestions for the car would be appreciated, but nothing like "get a T60, and boost the hell out of it with NNNNAAAAAWWWWSSSS!"

Thanks for the help

Ian

I would go with teh 11.4:1 only because of less likely hood of detonation with bad gas. Yes you can run higher, but that depends on how much tuning you will be doing, what timing you plan to run, etc.

my vote goes for the lower of the two.

Okay, now I've got another option, the JDM B16 pistons will give an 11.6:!, but you say 11.4:1 would be good? I'm just thinking I don't want to have the cams without the high compression to help them work to their potential. With the cams, and pistons would it make sense to get the ITR valve train to rev higher?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

yeah, to prevent valve float you need stiffer ITR springs, I would honestly use all the ITR springs and hell if you want to run higher than 11.4:1 and go with 11.6:1 then go for it, people get away with 12.3:1 on 93 pump, but it tends to cut it close to pronining detonation, it's all up to you and also depends on the humidity, outside temp, timing, etc..

Originally posted by JDMilan@Nov 24 2003, 08:57 PM
I would go with teh 11.4:1 only because of less likely hood of detonation with bad gas. Yes you can run higher, but that depends on how much tuning you will be doing, what timing you plan to run, etc.

my vote goes for the lower of the two.

:werd: :withstupid:
Also the USDM ITR compression is 10.6:1 I would get a better set of cams if I was going to run over 12.0:1 CR. You will be fine at 11.4:1 with the ITR cams on 93 octane.

yeah my friend had the same set up you've got. B16 head on a gsr block, full type r valve train, cams his head was milled too. I sold him a set of CTR pistons and his compression ratio went through the roof. I forget how much compression he was putting out per cylinder but it was a shit load. One of the pistons ended up chipping. He was going to shave the rest of the pistons to balance them out but decided to sell the motor. Stick with ITR.

Back