JDM B16a problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic_types

swaped it in ....... no engine lights.... but when I hammer it to bogs almost struggles (as if I was pumping the gas) like a bastard..... but everything else works..... when I accelerate slowly runs perfectly

What I cheeked before posting:
-Timing
-new plugs
-new accel wires
-I cleaned the injectors
-Timing belt is all lined up(perf, didn't jump)

What I think may be the problem:
-cloged exaust (or diameter of exaust not big enough)
-fuel filter
-new air filter
-Jdm motor sat for a while, need to be de-carbonated
-distributor cap?

Anything would help guys, thanks in advance

Where in the RPMs does it bog? Does it always bog, no matter what the conditions? Check the fuel filter, replace the cap and rotor if you already have not done so, that is key. Hold your air filter up to the sun, and if you can see light through it, it is clean. I would not worry about your grounds, if the motor starts they are probably good enough. Also does the motor come back after it bogs, or does it just stay down in no matter how high it revs? I ask that because it could be your VTEC activation point, you might need to raise it, using a VAFC, or something else, to allow the motor to rev out the bottom end enough to have VTEC kick in at the proper point.

if it bogs below 4krpm, then 'jumps' back to normal just before vtec, it's probably your secondary o2 sensor. i didnt wire one up (since i used an ex harness on my lx chassy), and i just live with it.

what car/ecu are you using?

It does bog before 4krpm especially if I hammer it ........

But if I drive it normally, it's all good........

I'm using my cx harness, which had already been wired for a SOHC VTEC ......before this swap.........P30ecu

All I had to wire was a knock sensor.........

Secondary O2 sensor, I don't have, nor I didn't think it was needed on a JDM B16A, I have also purchased a JASMA header with an o2 sensor on the end of the header .... near the cat .........

It's a 93' EG

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........... I just thought of it !!!!!!!!!!

An O2 sensor cannot be spliced right ?

well, I had an air/fuel mixture gauge running to it in the past and I spliced it before the swap, while forgetting that I had to replace it !!!!!!!!!! Jesus, I betcha it'll work !!!

Thanks man....... It's always the little thoughless stuff .....

But, wouldn't a spliced o2 sensor throw a code ?

Guess not, only make the car run like shit .....
Thanks Civicious.........

But, do I need a Secondary o2 sensor........ ?

not on obd1, it wouldn't, i dont believe....im not positive...but i dont think it does.

i don't have a secondary o2 sensor, and i've got an obd2 ecu, and it runs fine (other than bogging down below 2krpm at 10% or so throttle). 1 o2 sensor should be fine for obd1 thogh.

Before you go cutting wires and tryig to splice do this...

Look at you MAP sensor, and TPS sensor, now that your looking at them, switch them. The are the asme plug, and next to each other, so it is very common to switch them. From what you describe that sounds like it MIGHT be what is wrong. Check that then if it still happens post again.

It was the distributor cap guys !!!!!!!!!!
I now know what b-series power is !!!!!!

Back