JDM B18C-R or JDM GSR in my 89HF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tesla220

Chance favors the prepared mind
OK, so I got my choice of engines down to 2, really 4 if you count USDM. I have a few questions to those who swapped in JDM OBD2 motors. Does the 96 to 98 JGM B81C-R OBD2 system monitor post cat O2? More importaintly and difficult, does it monitor EVAP? If so what do you guys do about it? Id like to use the B18C-R but I wanna keep this kinda simple. I havent found any OBD1 B18C Type R motors so I guess there arent any unless I convert. I was considering an OBD1 swap for this reason of ease. Thats why I'm considering a pre 96 GSR. So does that big 2 stage GSR intake fit in a EF? Also i would think that the 2 stage intake on the GSR would make more tourque at 2500 rpm than the type R, is this true?
My true choice would be a Type R OBD1 with 4:25 final drive trans and LSD cuz the car is so light and I like mountain roads, dont wanna be shift happy all day on Skyline Drive (mountaintop roads) when the torque can pull it through. Any Ideas appreciated.
Im going to ask for recomendations of motor dealers and also maybe who not to buy from.

Swap SOON!!! Yehaa:D

THX....

the GSR manifold will fit in your EF, and yes it will make "slightly" more bottom end torque than the type-r... but it's going to depend more on the condition of the motor if it actually is noticeable.

if you want to run an obd1 type R, you're going to need a hondata or i've seen a few P28's with crome running just about every honda engine out there.

hmotorsonline is probably the most trusted online engine importer, but there are a LOT out there, do your research before you risk getting screwed out of $4000 cause you're trying to save $200.

Back