JDM GSR in EK DX WONT START. PLEASE HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ej6face

Okay, So I have a 1998 Civic Coupe DX its a OBD2(A).
I blew the stock motor about 8 months ago and the car has been sitting until about 4 months ago when i towed it to my house to begin pulling out the blown motor.
I Recently Purchased a 2000 JDM GSR OBD2(B) motor from H motors. I tossed my civic engine harness and used the new GSR engine harness, I took the new Harness and ECU(P72)OBD2B to a local Shop to Get the harness w/ecu wired to fit my car. Now i swapped the motor into my civic , got all the mounts in good , Harness plugs up to the ecu just fine, And everything i need for the car to be running and start is installed. The car turns over but does not start. It cranks and sounds perfectly fine , perfect timing i checked. If i spray starter fluid in the throttlebody it starts up and sounds like it wants to keep going for about 5 seconeds and then stops. I feel like its so close.

Ive checked all my grounds, fluids, starter,battery,ecu.dizzy,fuelrail plug order, spark plug wires,and my fuses. the one thing i noticed is that **some jdm motors or all of them dont use Vtec oil pressure sensor switches? Little green outlet than goes under the solinoid. My motor was sent to me with no outlet just a hole under the solinoid with no threads to bolt anything in there, however there is a plug on my harness labeled Vtec oil pressure switch that is green that isnt plugged in because there is no place for it to go, that wire also has a small ground coming off of it that connects to the solinoid? im not sure what to do about that. Ive heard you have to wire the solinoid and Pressure switch together since the motor doesnt use pressure switches.

Also ive noticed that there is one other plug that doesnt plug in. Its black and comes off right before the 4 Fuel injector plugs. There is no where for it to plug into and im not sure what the plug is called. possibly Crank position sensor?

Ill upload pictures soon i just really need help
ANY INFO on necessary things needed to be done for a JDM GSR into a 1998 CIVIC DX with the wiring done and i replaced the Dizzy, Cap and Rotor, and Coil.
thankyou!

Just thought I would help you brainstorm on this problem. I am more knowledgeable with OBD1 swaps but have read a few things about your swap. From the info I have gathered, I think you did this very unusual (although I cannot verify that it wont work with the things you've done). For your application, I thought you convert the swap to OBD2A but it sounds like you tried to convert your car to OBD2B?

From your description, it sounds like a fuel issue. But you also said you checked the injectors. After turning it over, did you check the plugs and smell them for fuel? I would think this is an issue especially after you said it fires over with starter fluid. I would check the wiring for the fuel system for power/continuity.

JDM B18C's (from info I have gathered) do not have a VTEC oil pressure switch. You would need a USDM VTEC combo (both VTEC solenoid and pressure switch) or wire it up differently (plenty of threads and info on this conversion). But I am pretty sure this wouldn't affect the start up situation (especially if you are using the JDM OBD2B ECU)

EDIT: I forgot to mention the whole thought of the immobilizer from the ignition on 00/01 DC cars. This can also be a possible root of your problems. But I hope others with more experience chime in for you.

Since I don't know what was done to your harness to make it "work", here is a long "possible" solution:
Get an EK EX harness from a recycler/junkyard (or a DX harness plus wire up VTEC) and a OBD2A P72 ECU. I am not sure but I think the Alt, Dizzy, and injectors are the same (you would need to look into this). Pretty sure you would need to extend a few wires off the EK harness to meet to all the B18C plugs. Obviously this solution sucks because it costs more money but this is how I would have swapped it from the start.

But you harness may be fine and a OBD2A ECU may also make it fire up.......???? If you have access to borrow one....do it. Can you describe what exactly was done to the JDM harness? Cause its a RHD harness and a bitch to convert especially to a One-Piece harness vehicle (EG and DC are 2-piece). I am curious to what was done.

In terms of OBD, what alt, dizzy, coil did you buy?

Last edited:
Yeah let me find out all the details of everything. Ill post it all up tomorrow and let you know more information. i really appreciate the help

Alrighty so turns out i had the wiring done by Import Sports. They made the car OBD2B came as the motor. I brought in my stock harness, the GSR harness , and my p72 ecu. They gave me back my Stock civic harness Rewired with the necessary GSR plugs added. For some reason they wired a Vtec Pressure sensor on the harness as well. But i dont have a spot for it since the motor is JDM. There is a small ground wire coming off the Pressure sensor wire as well, It grounds up by the solinoid. Just making sure all the grounds are connected. Would it make sense that That solinoid ground wire might not be working because there is no Pressure sensor plug? It literally looks like the Ground wire comes out of the pressure sensor inlet.

I have tried starting the motor up with the stock DX ecu also. Nothing...

Ive checked all the other grounds. All the fluids , The cap and rotor

Someone else might say different but I am pretty sure the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch situation wouldn't prevent firing up of the motor. Triple check your grounds. And I think you need to take a multimeter to it. Check the starter, dizzy, fuel pump, injectors. You can just start eliminating stuff.

And did you take a plug out after you tried to continually crank it over???

It sounds like Import Sports put the correct plug on your harness and took the immobilizer part out of the ECU....???

I beleive the car will start without the pressure switch, Wont crack vtec or anything though.
Triple checked the grounds, sanded the engine bay again in the spots where the grounds go.
Replaced the whole dizzy, Still nothing , i checked the Fuel Pump And its priming , clean fuel when i pulled it out. Im gonna have to take the starter in but i should work if its sent from h motors? Injectors are working fine, Triple checked the order on that as well , same with spark plug firing order. Take what plug out?

Me personally I would junk the wiring harness that was custom made and junk the ecu or sell it. Go find a 98 or 99 gsr wirng harness and a 95 p72 gsr or a 95 p30 b16 ecu and go on ebay and get a jumper for a obd2a to a obd1 ecu it cost only 35 bucks, i bought one. I believe obd1 is better thats my opinion, and just run that i am sure it would work. I did this to a 99 ex I couldn't afford a d16y8 motor so I bought a d16y7 but when i used the ecu from the ex it would shut off when the vtec was suppose to kick in so I bought the jumper and put in a p06 ecu and it ran fine. Now the vtec you need to get one off a 95 gsr or b16 and you will be good to go. And the vtec being unhooked will not stop the engine from starting, just won't hit vtec, I have done this and started with no problem. If I am wrong someone correct me

Back