JDM vs. USDM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What are the differences between the JDM and USDM motors, besides power? What components are on one engine, and not on the other, that cause for power loss/gain, and emissions control?

I need to find out as much as i can, becasue i MUST pass smog by the end of this month, and by the way things are turning out. i dont think that it will be even close to passing smog. And the shop i took the car to tried to rip me off, so now i gotta deal with them. The owner, myself, and my dad all got into an argument and we ended up getting the car back and not paying for the "services" that they did which totaled about 290 dollars. The owner ended with saying that we should just take the car. They diagnosed my car, and said that the Cat is bad, but I took my emmisions reprt to a SMOG only station and the said that it just seems as though the car is running hot and there is alot of carbon build up on the head (all these are guesses). So this week i am going to take of the head and clean it all out hopefully eliminating the carbon build up problem(do i NEED to buy a new head gasket? shit, thats more money :/ ).

Is there a way to make my car run more lean than just adding alcohol to the fuel?

and should i replace the O2 sensor's?

As i said in the question above, What makes these motors SO different that my car will not pass smog? and how can i correct them?

here is my SMOG report:
s3f856cafad57f.jpg

what have you changed? I remember you posted a list earlier but i am lazy. How new is your cat? Have you tried putting a stock exaust back on? put your stock air cleaner on. Change the PCV valve as it is cheap, and an emission part. Clean your intake manifold, really well with carb cleaner. cleaning the head cannot hurt but it is a lot of work. As far as emission differences in JDM and USDM, I have not seen much both run a charcoal canister and both have PCV valves, and what not. Though I do not know about the early b20s and all their emissions stuff, but if you are passing visual then you should have everything you need. I would suggest taking the car to a shop that will let you use the smog stuff to play with timing and other stuff to try and clean up your emissions. Good Luck man.

Sorry man..really ...the biggest difference is that the compression ratio is different from each other. Tho i have family in Cali..im glad i dont live there ..just because of the smog issues.

Back