just bought engine: need help evaluating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

blase

Hey,

I blew up my racing engine (and 2 years of my life) and I'm swapping in an old JDM b16a. I have 2 issues which I'd like some help with:

1. When the engine showed up, it had some obvious signs of sitting outdoors. There was a termite nest in the exhaust manifold. The valve cover had been pulled just before shipping, and when I got it, there was an inch of oil/mud in each of the spark plug holes. I pulled each plug, hooked the starter to a battery and tested the compression. I got 90, 190, 120, 90 with cylinders 1 and 4 taking a while to reach max compression. I've never built a bottom end before, but I know that that's not good. I'm wondering if maybe while it sat outside a termite nest built itself inside the engine. It might explain the mud-oil. Or is this just a bad block?

2. Regardless of whether the block is good or not, it came with an electronic shift auto tranny. Since my left leg is still screwed up from the old racing clutch, I don't mind dropping to an auto tranny, as long as I can wire in paddle shifters. The guy who sold it to me gave me the tranny computer from a 99 prelude, along with the shift console. I took his word that it would work, but now I'm not as sure. Does anyone know if I can use a JDM b16a1 auto tranny in an OBD1 integra controlled by a 99 prelude tranny computer?

Any help you can offer is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank,
Blase

Please refer to our FAQ. There is no need to post your topic more than once.

This topic has been closed by a moderator. Please continue your question in the other thread that you started.

Thanks, Moderating Team

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back