KEY LOCKED IN

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thegreat1310

WHATS UP I JUST DID A RECENT AUTO TO MANUAL SWAP IN MY 90 CIVIC LX AND HAVING PROBLEMS WITH A FEW THINGS LIKE MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, AND THE KEY WONT COME OUT OF THE IGNITION UNLEESS I DISCONNECT THE BATTERY NEED INFO ASAP THANKS,

i think your problem is because you have a automatic ECU and there is like some mechnisim that is connected to the auto shifter which only lets you to take key out when your in park. you have to find it and bypass it i think.

ok what code is your ecu throwing, if its a code 19 then its your auto trans lockup solenoid and you have two options 1 replace the ecu with a manuel ecu, or 2 if you have any experiance with soldering you can mod it. Instructions can be found here Instructions i would personaly recomend that you dont try and mod it just buy a new one. if you still have the dx engine in your car then use a manual pm5 ecu if you have a zc use a pm6 , pm7, or pg7 ecu's. hope that helps

Post this in the ECU forum, Radnulb knows his shit on there, he'll answer it for you in no time.

Check engine light- check your ECU's error codes, then fix them.

Key not coming out- make sure your car "thinks" that you're in park. With my auto to manual swap, Intercrew left the old shift position indicator bolted to the shifter area, and after 30k miles the old auto shifter had moved out of the park position and wouldn't let the key go. I just rigged up a bracket to hold the shifter in the park position, and my key never got stuck again.

Back