kwik back pressure question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tegg_gsr

-Newb Question-
why is it that when you boost an engine you have (should) get low compression pistons?is it b/c the severe back pressure from smaller turbos and if so couldnt you just get a bigger one?

You get lower compression pistons so that you dont blow your motor up. High Compression and boost dont mix.

well i know that much by now, but i was wondering if you can give me an answer to whether im wrong or right about the bigger turbo thing. thanx

compression has little to do with back pressure.

back pressure is caused by the manifold/cat/exhaust. the larger amount of air going through the engine needs to get out. its like trying to run a marathon breathing through a drinking straw. you can't make as much power. open your mouth wide, and you get more intake air and exahust air in and out of your body allowing you to perform better.

compression deals with the combustion process which leads to making power.
people who lower their compression because they think you have to are just plain out wrong. lowering compression lowered the EFFECTIVE compression of a motor once boosted. read our article on static and effective compression in the articles section for more info on compression.

Back