Learning about cars...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Circuit

aftering reading posts from a lot of you guys, it amazes me how much you guys know about hondas and cars in general. I was wondering how you guys gained your car knowledge so I can stop asking stupid questions :lol: :lol: :lol:

I learned most of what I know (not much about Honda's yet, but I can tell you quite abit about my old car) by sittin on the internet for countless hours, all the while swallowing my pride asking stupid questions :lol:

just read a lot. whatever you can get your hands on. but the best is actually doing it on the car and getting your hands dirty.

Yep. Just read, ask questions, and above all, learn who's full of it so you can ignore them.

haha. i just read magazines, read up on the net, on forums, and from friends.

as stated before ask tons of questions, read up, work on your car and buy a helms manual. if you got some friends who are into cars talk to them and maybe ask if you can watch a swap sometime. this site is great, its taught me a lot in the short time ive been here

I learned alot by working on my car. My dad's a mechanic, so that helped. I also subscribed to just about every car magazine that appealed to me. Just read and research. You'll get it eventually.

Just read, I learned alot over the summer. Bought magazines, didn't matter what kind, just as long as they related to a gasoline engine and forced induction and all motor. Didn't spend alot of time listening to my friends cuz they would steer me to the wrong way. So read up on your stuff, you'll understand it sooner or later.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Oct 27 2003, 10:54 PM
Yep. Just read, ask questions, and above all, learn who's full of it so you can ignore them.

:withstupid:

and ill put them in order

1 -- read -- read everything you can, there is no useless information (even if its not for your specific car or application there is nothing wrong with checking out the competition :) )

2 -- learn whos actually knowlegable on subjects and who is talking out their ass -- this usually isnt too hard to figure out... and just because someone is knowlegable on 1 thing doesnt make them an expert on everything, so dont limit your sources

3 -- ask questions -- when in doubt ask (i put this last because most questions you have will be answered if you just do a little research)

get a repair manual and start reading. Haynes or Chilton are both good reading. They are written for the average joe to understand.

aside from that, get a book about performance engines. there are some good performance honda books out there. they even list name brand parts and contain many dyno charts to show how each part performed. you can also find this stuff on the internet..though it wont all be in one place.

there are some honda websites that have sections with tech articles. you can learn alot from those articles.

here are some sites that have good tech info on them (besides HondaSwap.com of course):

www.importtuner.com (tech section - power pages)
www.speedoptions.com (pro tips section)
www.c-speedracing.com (tech section)
www.overboost.com

also, read how-to articles in the import mags. those are a real good source of tech knowledge. just skip all the bling bling showcar feature articles.

i was born with a penis and two testicles...

werent you?

Tony, it never ceses to amaze me how much of an asshole you can be, but it is funny as hell.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Oct 28 2003, 02:17 AM
2 -- learn whos actually knowlegable on subjects and who is talking out their ass

Hey I know what I'm talking about...
Now if you'll excuse me, my blinker fluid needs to be topped off.

Also, I picked up a book today from Books-A-Million. It's called Honda/Acura performance. From HPBooks. It's a little more basic than I thought it would be, but it's still good reading and would help if you didn't know too much about Hondas.

I was a apprentice for 6 months and worked 60's so it was a good experience.

I also read a few hayne's manuals, yeah not helms, the haynes came with the car, and I've read about every actual useful post on here to better my experience. The only thing bad about reading online, anyone can right it, and they could copyright it all day long, yet it could be shitty information and you wouldn't know the wiser.

www.howstuffworks.com is also a good tool if you want to learn about the small tedious stuff.

Back