1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning the basics

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Type R Haitian, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Type R Haitian

Type R Haitian New Member

so....I guess I'm too new to post new threads so...I'm mooching off of this one...ANYONE know where I can find a video or a forum or ANYTHING to teach me about engines BASIC stuff I know NOTHING!!!!! I searched here but they always start out simple then get too complicated talking about stuff i don't understand.

thx in advance

2. 97h22dxcoupe

97h22dxcoupe senior member

first off you need to start your own thread, but since you invaded mine tell me what your issues are and ill try to help you as best i can, like tell me what car you have ,year and make and your problem...

3. Type R Haitian

'92 teg (tuned by previous owner since I know/knew nothing) got totaled thx to an idiot who STOPPED on a highway cuz he missed his exit smh...but I've been hearing alot about engine talk etc etc and I'm thinking of building an all motor...so far I think I'm solid on a GSR block, Type R head. Now as for he parts of any of those things......I know nothing but I want to learn and do them on my own, I have a mechanic but I want to know my stuff so I can help or do the whole thing myself....thx again for the help

4. RoughKnight

RoughKnight Christmas Car

You answered your own question.
    Google "build an all motor gsr" and see what you get.
    The forum is riddled with questions like this daily, and they are answered in the same consistant fashion. The basics are easily found, so once you have a build path for your n/a build and need some specifics we can come in handy. Other than that, nobody is gonna lay down engine basics 101 when it is easily available all over the net.

5. Type R Haitian

Yeah I read pissedsol's swap 101 thread earlier today and I got some stuff but was still LOST, even if I could be pointed in the right direction, I'll definitely Google it though thx

6. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

7. RoughKnight

RoughKnight Christmas Car

^ Werd. Take a few days, figure things out. Money plays a big part of shit, especially when ur a stupid like moi.

8. Type R Haitian

yeah def gotta get on my hands and knees (pause).....LOL. Updates as soon as I lean more. and BIG UPS to 97h22dxcoupe for letting a noobie like me use this.

=Peace

9. Type R Haitian

Didn't see anything about GSR on the list but do you think this would be a good supplement? If not do you know any other dvds? I'm still reading the howstuffsworks article GOOD STUFF!

10. Type R Haitian

11. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

I wouldn't be too concerned with learning GSR specific things right now. If I were you, I'd become familiar with an engine before anything. See if you can find yourself an engine to take apart and just look at it and try to put it back together. If you can't put it back together, look online for help. This is a common things with cars. Trust me, I've spent countless hours out in the shop trying to figure out what the hell went where, when the whole time the answer was somewhere on the internet.

12. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

yep you can find anything about anything on the internet..
    basics..pistons,rods,compression,block,head,valves,cams,sparkplug,dizzy...
    just look up any part name and what it does..then you will get an idea

13. Type R Haitian

Thx, that's what I've been doing while reading the how stuff works article. When I read posts that have stuff I don't understand I google or wiki it now. Thx so much for the help guys so far I have a few basics down and getting into the more intermediate things just dreading learning about wiring and all that because just from the sounds of some people's questions seems complicated:eek:

thx again

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted