least expensive way to make power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

theb17guy

i got a b17 that runs great, but want more power. b20 or ls bottom end for vtec? i was thinking about using my b17 head on one or the other. or buildup the b17? somebody offered me $1,000 for my engine. should i take them up on that and use the money some other way? i want to run in the lower 14s, im at a 15.3, and i will probably gut soon. i want to go all motor, and i have a couple grand and a ys1 tranny that i will keep. thanks for yer advice

your motor, due to its rarity is worth much more than that. I've seen just the b17 crank go for 800 bucks.

if i were you, i would build up what you have. there is no point to building an LS vtec if you already have a vtec motor if you ask me.

get some higher compressin pistons, and soe headwork with a larger cam

Are you driving the 92-93 GSR that the engine came stock in?

Well he could build up a seperate LS bottom, making 2 liters and being bullet proof then swapping it out and selling his stock b17 bottom. The 1.7 still needs some tq...but that is just my .02's.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 15 2003, 12:48 AM
Are you driving the 92-93 GSR that the engine came stock in?

yes. b series must be indestructible or something. it has 193,000 miles on it, raced regularly by the previous owner. it doesn't burn oil or anything, but torque is a little discouraging.

Very nice. If you want the cheapest way to go fast in the quarter mile, just throw on some nitrous... I know you want to stay all motor, but a well tuned nitrous setup will get you awesome gains for not too much cash, and if you can stay off the bottle while you're on the street, your wallet won't hurt too much from the bottle fills.

If you want to stay all motor and also want to keep your B17, bump up your compression some (helps the torque quite a bit across the whole rev range) with new pistons, then throw on a nice aggressive set of cams and tune. Barring that, build up another bottom end and swap it in- just make sure it comes out to around 2.0L and you'll be pretty happy.

Back