leeking head gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

well with a leeky head gasket I think it's time to replace it, then I might as well do my timing belt/water pump at the same time since it needs to be done and then I might as well do cam/valve train upgrade since I'll have it all apart.

my main question is about the headgasket though

should I stick with OEM honda or spend a bit more and get a Mugen gasket and raise my compresion by 0.4?

I will most likely replace the head studs with ARP's when I do this, so the added compresion shouldn't be an issue.... but I just wanted to know what people think of the Mugen head gasket. is it worth paying over twice the cost of OEM? how much is the 0.4 compresion increase really going to do?

I have a JDM b16a which is 10.4:1 allready and the engine is unmodded.

I plan on going with portflow springs and retainers and skunk2 stage1 cams when I do all this work

thanks guys
I appreciate all the good feedback I get from all of you

Sean

PS if any of you that gave me advice on the JRSC situation a few weeks back I won't be doing that now due to the head gasket issue.... it might still happen next year though

0.4 isn't going to do too much, but you can still pick up some power with the increase. If your bottom end is 100% ok and you're not going to rebuild it, go ahead and get the Mugen head gasket. I would honestly just go with an OEM gasket and buy new pistons, but that's WAY more expensive than a custom head gasket.

you may be able to get away with just tightening the head bolts a bit more, see if that stops your leak?

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 5 2004, 09:15 AM
0.4 isn't going to do too much, but you can still pick up some power with the increase. If your bottom end is 100% ok and you're not going to rebuild it, go ahead and get the Mugen head gasket. I would honestly just go with an OEM gasket and buy new pistons, but that's WAY more expensive than a custom head gasket.
[post=398468]Quoted post[/post]​

that's what I wanted to know. I don't know the condition of the bottom end for sure... it may be fine, it may not be. I think I am going to order a complete gasket kit for the top end along with new vtec seals and a golden eagle cam cap and just start replacing things and see how it goes. that way I'll get new valve seals for when I upgrade the valve train

thanks for the response

Back