Legal Buffs, Show Me Your Ways

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XZILER8

Alrighty,

One of my friends (girl) has a 1997 saturn sc1. She bought it about 2 years ago and when she did so, she spent an extra $1000 on an extended warranty.
Well, the other day her alternator gave up and she took it to the dealer to take advantage of that warranty. It was fairly late at night, so she dropped it off as the dealer was closed. She called the dealer the next day to talk to them and let them know the symptoms and her information. She then told them that from that point on, they were to talk to her husband about anything further. Well, they checked it out and it wasn't until then that the dealer decided to let them know that the warranty company is filing bankruptcy and isn't accepting any claims. Well, for one reason or another, her husband gave them the "go-ahead" to swap out the alternator.

All said and done, the dealer charged her $330. I told her I could have done it for $75 but that's beside the point.

My question is this:
If the warranty company is going bankrupt, shouldn't they be liable to atleast notify their customers that they aren't accepting any claims? I think it's pretty shitty that they decided to wait until she needed to use it! :angry:
In my opinion, I think she should get her $1000 PLUS the $330 back due to the fact that they aren't follwing up on their end of the contract.
What should she do? One of our local news stations does a segment called "7 can help" where they report shady business practices. I told her to get them involved as well as the Better Business Bureau (sp?)

In addition to that, is it worth seeking legal recourse?

Thanks for the advice!

P.S.
The dealer also charged her a core charge for the alternator, but that shouldn't have been passed onto her unless they gave her the old alternator back.... right?

i am no expert, but usually what happens is that you have to wait until the court decides who, if anyone, gets any money that was owed when the company went under. that could take awhile depending on the complexity of the case. Then, once that is figured out...you may still not get anything...or only a portion of what was owed to you.

Originally posted by XZILER8@Jul 18 2003, 11:14 AM
Alrighty,

One of my friends (girl) has a 1997 saturn sc1. She bought it about 2 years ago and when she did so, she spent an extra $1000 on an extended warranty.
Well, the other day her alternator gave up and she took it to the dealer to take advantage of that warranty. It was fairly late at night, so she dropped it off as the dealer was closed. She called the dealer the next day to talk to them and let them know the symptoms and her information. She then told them that from that point on, they were to talk to her husband about anything further. Well, they checked it out and it wasn't until then that the dealer decided to let them know that the warranty company is filing bankruptcy and isn't accepting any claims. Well, for one reason or another, her husband gave them the "go-ahead" to swap out the alternator.

All said and done, the dealer charged her $330. I told her I could have done it for $75 but that's beside the point.

My question is this:
If the warranty company is going bankrupt, shouldn't they be liable to atleast notify their customers that they aren't accepting any claims? I think it's pretty shitty that they decided to wait until she needed to use it! :angry:
In my opinion, I think she should get her $1000 PLUS the $330 back due to the fact that they aren't follwing up on their end of the contract.
What should she do? One of our local news stations does a segment called "7 can help" where they report shady business practices. I told her to get them involved as well as the Better Business Bureau (sp?)

Thanks for the advice!

P.S.
The dealer also charged her a core charge for the alternator, but that shouldn't have been passed onto her unless they gave her the old alternator back.... right?

if the company is filing bankruptcy......good luck.

im not schooled on bankruptcy, but doesnt the company filing chapter 11 (? 7? 13? whatever) have to liquidate all assets and pay off inside then outside creditors?

im going by the rules that dictate dissolution and winding up of a partnership..

most likely im TOTALLY off.....

Originally posted by XZILER8@Jul 18 2003, 11:14 AM
Alrighty,

My question is this:

Thanks for the advice!

P.S.

call legal referal services, they should get u in contact with a person that deals with such things. where are u located? if in the so cal area i can point u in the right direction.

Back