Let's talk about VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This might sound a little dumb but...
If the LS head sucks, can you just run a vtec head and not hook up the vtec???
That way you can just run super aggressive cams and have the good flowing head, and still have pretty good aftermarket support???

QUOTE (pissedoffsol @ Sep 8 2003, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE (aphex301 @ Sep 8 2003, 07:25 PM)

its all about the SOHC VTEC...

it's all about being slow

LoL B, thats the best thing ive ever heard, and is damn near Sig material.

as for the tuning aspect, that is a very nice flattening of the power curve on the LS setup. as for crower 404's, they are ment for RACE ONLY as it says on the sight, i dont know where u live, but i know if u are found with them in ur car here, u can get ticketed hella for having an illegal part on your car, so check ur local laws b4 u buy em. ill tell u how i like mine, im getting them put in in less than a week so ill keep ya'll posted.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Sep 8 2003, 02:20 PM
HOLY FUCK HOW DID I MISS AN LS BUILDUP THREAD! anyway man, im the guy u need to talk to about this 1:), i weighed the LS/Vtec, the LS/Turbo, and have no decieded to go built LS, do to my financial situation. #1, LS/Vtec will suck UNLESS BUILT FLAWLESSLY, im serious. i put down 15.00's in my CRX with an LS with i/e. theres a 93 CX hatchback civic, with a BUILT LS/Vtec running 15.3? why? cause the guy built it like a fucknig moron, he has everythnig JE pistions, IM, cams, springs retainers, sleeves, blueprinter balanced. the only downside is LS tranny, but hes almost 3 seconds off where he should be. dont build the LS/Vtec, unless u want to spend the time and $$ tuning it perfectly.

Good lord, aren't you such a fucking smart guy. We really need Ji here for this one. Maybe you don't have capacity in that little head of yours to remember the first time you mentioned this idiot laying down a 15.3. Get a clue, 1. it's on an LS tranny 2. He's a dumb fuck (you said it yourself) and dumb fucks shouldn't build engines. More importantly their engines should not be used as benchmarks. Now if you ever have any real information to back this claim feel free to post it, but until you do stop using this asshole's engine as a benchmark.

LoL? im not using him as a benchmark, im saying unless u can build it right, i dont like LS/Vtec, cause if honda wanted it the LS vtec it woulda made 1. i think its to much $$ and time to spend on an engine that will 9 times outa 10 lose to a turbo LS for the same $$. thx for trying to :owned: me but it wont happen man, u like ur LS/Vtec, i dont so there ya go.

also, a LS tranny doesnt make a 2 second + difference in track times.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Sep 8 2003, 07:46 PM-->
SleEPeR_CRX
@Sep 8 2003, 02:20 PM
HOLY FUCK HOW DID I MISS AN LS BUILDUP THREAD! anyway man, im the guy u need to talk to about this 1:), i weighed the LS/Vtec, the LS/Turbo, and have no decieded to go built LS, do to my financial situation. #1, LS/Vtec will suck UNLESS BUILT FLAWLESSLY, im serious. i put down 15.00's in my CRX with an LS with i/e. theres a 93 CX hatchback civic, with a BUILT LS/Vtec running 15.3? why? cause the guy built it like a fucknig moron, he has everythnig JE  pistions, IM, cams, springs retainers, sleeves, blueprinter balanced. the only downside is LS tranny, but hes almost 3 seconds off where he should be. dont build the LS/Vtec, unless u want to spend the time and $$ tuning it perfectly.

Good lord, aren't you such a fucking smart guy. We really need Ji here for this one. Maybe you don't have capacity in that little head of yours to remember the first time you mentioned this idiot laying down a 15.3. Get a clue, 1. it's on an LS tranny 2. He's a dumb fuck (you said it yourself) and dumb fucks shouldn't build engines. More importantly their engines should not be used as benchmarks. Now if you ever have any real information to back this claim feel free to post it, but until you do stop using this asshole's engine as a benchmark.

werd. the 1320 is a REALLY bad way to tell if an engine/ engine package is "good" or not. there are just way way to many variables.

hell, im running 15.3s all day long in my LS and all i have is exhast.

1320= bad

dyno plots= good

anyway lets keep this OT, it was a good thread

Originally posted by khrisb@Sep 8 2003, 06:45 PM
This might sound a little dumb but...
That way you can just run super aggressive cams and have the good flowing head, and still have pretty good aftermarket support???

Let me clairify that...
You can have good aftermarket support like being able to run an aftermarket Gsr intake manifold and exhaust manifold. But would the more aggressive Ls cams fit in the Gsr head??? Also, would the 403 crower set work on the Gsr head?
Does anybody see what I'm talking about???

no man, i have no idea what ur talknig about. 403 are non-vtec cams??? i know u know this, so y did u say what u did?

I'm saying. Can you run the 403's in a vtec head if you don't hook up the vtec?
You could have the good gsr intake manifold, exhaust manifold, the better flowing head, just no vtec.
Get what I'm saying now?

Originally posted by khrisb@Sep 8 2003, 11:27 PM

this is both pointless and counterproductive

The whole idea behind going the LS route is, MONEY. LS heads are 100 bucks. GSr/b16 heads are in the 4-600 range depending.... and their cams are much more expensive (unless going up ONLY to oem itr cam... im talking aftermarket).

running a VTEC head and not running the VTEC is simply stupid. if you got it, use it. simply put, VTEC is a better technology, and with 2 profiles over 1, it will always make more OVERALL power- be it down low, or up top, depending on hat cam profile is used in the non-vtec equiped.

NON-VTEC cams do not fit in a VTEC head and vice versa. scratch that idea.

Crower makes 403's for the VTEC heads and the NON-VTEC heads. see http://www.crower.com for more info.

Sleeper CRX:
i hate your reasoning. Because Honda didn't make it, it's not good?

Well, FUCK honda then. About the ONLY thing on my motor that Honda decided to use that I have kept is the Head casting, the lost motion assembly, the block casting, and the starter.

The rest of my motor consists of parts that Honda has never used, never will use, and i guess it must be garbage then?

LS/vtec is no different than a GSR. hell, the ls casting has a plugged up whole for the oil line. its 98% the same block. its got a different crank, and doesn't have oil squirters or a crank girdle. That's about it.
next to no motors on the market, ford, mazda, nissan, volvo, saab, whatever, do not have crank girdles, nor oil swuiters in their blocks. to say its a shit motor without them is simply an asinine statement.

My point is, if you build it correctly, use it correctly, and have some clue as to what you are doing, you can do whatever you want.

Finially,
as for the tuning aspect, that is a very nice flattening of the power curve on the LS setup.

its actually pretty bad. the a/f ratio drops to close to 11:1 after 5000, due to crazy vacuum forcing the FPR up. there's 10-15 horse just in tuning on bills motor right now, not including the cam adjustments.
as for crower 404's, they are ment for RACE ONLY as it says on the sight, i dont know where u live, but i know if u are found with them in ur car here, u can get ticketed hella for having an illegal part on your car, so check ur local laws b4 u buy em. ill tell u how i like mine, im getting them put in in less than a week so ill keep ya'll posted.

sight = site. a sight is a like Disney world. a site is on the web.
continuing on,
race only is bullshit. your car as it sits right now, would have a person fucked in many states. mine would, bills would, and so would amny other members here. Fact is, who the hell is going to know enough to take off the valve cover, the rocker assemblies, pull the cam, and go- hey, thats a crower 404- thats race only. you can't use that on the street- here's a ticket.
it doesn't happen.

I was just wondering b/c I can get a B16 head for $200. No I won't tell you either.
I was going for, if the Ls head sucks then just run those cams in a better flowing head with more aftermarket support. Guess I was wrong.

why'd you suddenly turn into a dick dude? everybody is tryin' to help you out and you're bein' an ass. fucktard.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Sep 9 2003, 03:24 AM
why'd you suddenly turn into a dick dude? everybody is tryin' to help you out and you're bein' an ass. fucktard.

Who are you talking to?

Re-read the thread, dude. The only person that suddenly turned into a dick was you.
I said I could get a B16 head for $200 but I won't tell where.
B said where? I'll buy 20.
I said, A guy I know, so there.

:wtf:

hey to get back on topic...

could some one get a vtec cam ground such that the non-vtec lobes were just as aggressive as the crower 403's and then get a really aggressive grind for the vtec cams that could potentially make power over 10,000 rpm?

B im saying that the Vtec has alot more technology in the block and head OTHER than vtec, to make Vtec work properly that the LS doesnt have. as u have said many a time, the GSR is a better engine, so is the b16a, and so on. that being said, the LS isnt as good of an engine for Vtec for exactly those reasons. i think its smarter to keep the engine the way it was made, this obviously isnt ur opinion, but for some of us, id rather do it my own way, than doing what everyone else has done. the LS is hard to fuck up, do to lack of tuning needed to make it work. throw some cams in there and i/h/e and ur going, basic. the LS/vtec needs alot more work done to get it running smoothly. work i dont see is worth it, i have a few friends running 13's o LS/Vtec's and 1 running 12's. yes those are great #'s but what happens if u are the guy that spend $7,000 CDN on his Ls/Vtec and its running 15.3? to me the chance it will suck doesnt seem worth it.

Back