Licensing a hybrid?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThreeNiL

Something just ran through my mind.

I got my GSR motor after a long time of shopping and shopping. Well it is finally in hand! Just looking it over and noticed the VIN tag on the block. My D16 has no such tag or ID that I can tell. Well anyhow, that got me thinkin... I might be moving out of state next year and will probably have to have it inspected in the new state to get it licensed. I hear a lot of states frown on swapping/hybrids and there may be some emissions issues. I didnt get the swap from Japan or anything, just bought it from a guy parting out his wreck.

Just curious if anyone has already done this and if you ran into any snags brought upon by your friendly neighborhood state inspector? Something I never took into account before the plunge.

Look before you leap?

Its sooooooooooooooo gonna depend on what states. I live in cali and its about as bad as it can be but still allowed so, chances are you will ok.

Thats not to say you wont have to do anything or follow some steps, thats it hard as fuck tot get it legit out here but CAN be done.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 20 2004, 03:25 PM
have you run the vin?
[post=419781]Quoted post[/post]​

No, why? To make sure it comes up as a totaled rig or something? The guy I bought it from wasnt shady or anything.. He was kinda a nerd actually :)

He spun the car on a gravel road and competely destroyed the passenger side from the front door back courtesy of a block wall. Too bad too because I wanted the rear discs but the passenger set was mangled. He bought car back as scrap or something after the insurance totaled it and I got everything under the hood.. I want to try and get the A/C hooked up but dont know how much a pain that would be.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies. Anymore advice would be great!!!

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 20 2004, 03:37 PM
to see if it a stolen motor.
[post=419789]Quoted post[/post]​

Is there a free website that checks vins? Although Im positive its legit, could run it just to see what comes up..

I met the guy, saw the car (looked like it got hit by a freakin train) and it was pretty out in the open. It wasnt in the back of a chop shop or anything.. lol

Well back to my original question..

I have bought two cars that were out of state in my life. The first time (1999), I took it to a little state police office and a guy came out and basically ran my window VIN and thats it.. Never popped the hood or anything.

The second time (2001), I had to take it to an actual inspection station and the inspector looked under the hood and inside on my door tag. Although, I have no idea what he was looking at under the hood. It was like a drive through and I had to stay in my car. I know there is a VIN tag on the firewall.. but on my D16, there was no VIN tag on the block itself. It has all the bar coded tags but Im guessing thats just for part identification (?). Now with the B18 having a block tag, I just dont want them to freak because the VINs dont match.

BTW, these two cars coincidently were Honda Civics. ;)

Originally posted by UDT+Nov 20 2004, 03:24 PM-->
Thats not to say you wont have to do anything or follow some steps, thats it hard as fuck tot get it legit out here but CAN be done.
[post=419780]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes it can be done, but you just have to make sure you do it right.

Blanco
@Nov 20 2004, 07:02 PM
In Cali, you have to have all of the emissions properly hooked up for the the chassis and then the engine emissions equipment has to match up with the year/model it is. Also, the enine has to be the same or newer as the car it's being swapped in to. So if you're dropping a '95 B18C into a '91 Civic you're fine as long as the Civic has all of it original emission equipment and the B18C has all of its original emission equipment. But no matter what, you can't drop a '95 B18C into a '96+ Civic. Again, this is for California and I think there might even be a few more crappy regulations to follow like fuel and vacuum line routing.
[post=419911]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid: but there's nothing about fuel and vacuum routing, just that they need to be hooked up like stock on the car that the motor is from. You basically need to make it look just like the car that the engine is from, under the hood. Then you take it to the ref and they check it over for you; the one I went to gave you a second chance for free to fix any problems that he found. (I needed a check valve in a vacuum line) but the whole process is relatively simple as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.

You basically need to make it look just like the car that the engine is from

Thank God I am not licensing in Cali. I have heard the horror stories a number of times. In attept to make the engine look like it came with the car.. since my original motor had no VIN tag, dare I say.. take the tag off the B18? Then stock it out and maybe slide by on a few procedures?
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Well the car is already licensed in my current state. I was considering moving to Portland, Oregon next year for school. I know its worse when you license in an urban county so that may suck.

I may be acting overly cautious over this I just dont want to do all the work and have spent all the money to get a swap done and run into problems trying to license it. If it wasnt my daily driver, I wouldnt even care.

:withstupid:

In Cali we they have pamphlets and websites all about the requirements.

Good Luck

honda motors didn't start carrying vin tags on the blocks until 97 or 98... so if your motor was older than that, than it won't have one.

Back