Lighter Wheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

red95solsi

I know that Lighter wheels makes the car handle better and accelerate faster but do they give more power to the wheels like make there be less power loss between engine and wheels or how does it make the car faster i know it is easier to turn lighter wheels then heavier ones but do they add more power to them also

pretty much a less power lost through them
they dont require as much power to turn so they eat up less
thus producing higher numbers at the wheels

kinda like getting rid of the AC / PS or having a lightweight flywheel ... you dont make any more power you just use the power you have more efficiently

i've heard taking 10 lbs off on the wheels(20 lb wheel -vs- 10lb wheel) is like taking 100 lbs on the body.. this true?

that is its aproximate effect on acceleration
1lb rotational = 10lbs static

wouldnt the static weight change as the car starts to go faster? because all of the weight is being spun faster?

in not too sure what your asking here.... the static weight doesnt really change ... unless you want to count the gas thats being used, or if you throw something out the window, etc.... or maybe downforce at speed ... but i really wouldnt consider that "static"

for rotational mass removing 1lb from the rim/tire assembly will have about the same effect on acceleration as removing 10lbs from the static chassis weight (interior, body pannels, you, etc)

so removing 10lbs (2.5lbs per wheel) would have the effect of removing 100lbs from the weight of the car (about 0.10 in the 1/4 mile) if all other factors remain the same (tire diameter, tire compound, air temperature, driving, traction, etc...)

I have 15 inch Rota Slipstreams and I could tell a differance in take-off. Not to mention they make the car look much better... :D

Back